T Rx 50 slipping or normal?

Started by Whippertail, March 06, 2011, 01:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whippertail

Was checking out a T Rex 50, it feels like when in LOW gear and no drag the handle seems to slip it is fine in High. When I put resistance on spool it stops slipping, is this normal for reel or is it screwed up?  I wasn't able to compare it to another T Rex.  ???

alantani

you can often crank the handle in low and not crank it in high.  can you get a scale and measure the drag in both gears?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Whippertail

SoCalAngler

Are you talking about when you shift from high to low gear with no pressure on the spool the handle seems to "slip" a before moving into low gear and  when you put pressure on the spool the reel then catches in low gear?

Whippertail

Quote from: SoCalAngler on March 09, 2011, 06:27:13 AM
Are you talking about when you shift from high to low gear with no pressure on the spool the handle seems to "slip" a before moving into low gear and  when you put pressure on the spool the reel then catches in low gear?
no, when reel is fully engaged in low it slips and is not smooth like other reels. Not the initial slip you get to engage into low its a constant slip as you crank

SoCalAngler

All the Avets I have played with even the T Rex's felt the same when turning the handle in high or low gear. Are you looking at a new or used reel? Avet was pretty good customer service and if it is a new reel and it has a problem they will make it right.

alantani

i'd spool it up with line and then run it through its paces.

Whippertail

Reel is brand new and was defective and is being replaced.  Thanks for answers!

Whippertail

Follow up- reel was sent to Avet for repairs, reel shows up at door open box up and 2 of the 4 reel seat screws are off and other 2 are loose so reel seat is hanging. I find 1 screw in box the other screw I find later on stuck to the grease on the side plate screws. The original problem seems to be fixed and they sent back some type of shaft with a rubber o-ring on it (guess that was the defective part that passed the factory inspection before reel was sold to vendor!) thrown in box so it could scratch reel,  I then bump up drag a bit and turn handle and hear BANG BANG BANG as I turn handle! Guess what the Handle is BENT and hitting the drag lever! GREAT QUALITY CONTROL guys! Now I will have to go thru this whole process again to get a Brand new reel fixed, Oh yea and there phones have been down for a couple days. >:(

alantani

that blows!  need photos .......  >:(

Whippertail

Alan, check your email I sent you 4 pictures to post I can not get them to load on the site. Thanks

alantani

Whippertail

alantani

looks like a drive shaft. the handle bolts on the top and the two main gears on the bottom.

Whippertail

Thanks, reel will be shipped back out tomorrow.  Hopefully they will get it corrected.