Penn Jigmaster 500s drag issue

Started by Whippertail, March 06, 2011, 02:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whippertail

I greased the Penn stock drag washers with Cal's reinstalled and now drags is very smooth but I have hardly any drag when its cranked down, I took apart and made sure everything is seated and in the right order I think.  What can be wrong?

Alto Mare

Whippertail. this might be a stupid question but we have to start somewhere. Did you remember to put back the tension spring? Part # 8-60
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Whippertail

the 2 springs that the bridge screws go thru? yes I did and with the right screws

Phinaddict

Alto means the cupped washer that sits on top of the drag stack. Also, make sure you have  4-60, the fiber washer,  sitting under the main gear, not included in the drag stack.
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Whippertail

Phin, yes both are in place. Could the grease be causing this?

Alto Mare

Just to recap, you have 1 carbon washer under the main gear, then you placed the washers in the main gear in this sequence: carbon, keyed, carbon, eared, carbon, keyed and lastly the tension spring, correct? Also, did you wipe off the access grease from the washers? Washers should be lightly coated.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

Quote from: Whippertail on March 06, 2011, 03:32:36 AM
Phin, yes both are in place. Could the grease be causing this?

no. 

look for the spool slipping on the spool shaft, the spectra slipping on the spool, the eared metal washer sitting on top of the main gear instead of nested inside, or the star bottoming out against the side plate. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Whippertail

Alto- there is only 1 eared washer in this stack and it is in the middle.  Alan- yes it seem that the star is almost bottomed out on side plate, its not touching but close. Thanks Frank

Whippertail

OK its fixed after taking it apart about 8x, did not do anything except wipe drag grease of of metal washer completely and wiped the  other washers down as best I could, without a rod attached (on a straight pull) reel locked down is getting 14lbs on a straight pull.  Is this good?  I see a shiney wear mark on the brass sleeve that drag washers sit on should I go with a stainless one? And can I do anything else to get a little more drag out of it?

alantani

no, no, 14 pounds is the max you can get out of this reel!!!  it is only a 3 drag system.  figure on getting 5 pound of drag per drag washer.  you're right on the money.  actually, you are into a range that can damage the reel.  it was never designed to hold these kinds of loads. 

Whippertail

what will I wreck, and should I go with that stainless shaft you sell?

Alto Mare

I'm glad that you got it all straightened out. On a positive note, all that practice means you could probably do it blindfolded by now. The stainless steel sleeve is a good call, i would leave it at that, like Alan said.
Take care, Sal

alantani

main and pinion gears, and the top of the gear sleeve.  if it cranks ok, leave it be.  if there are problems later, holler!

Whippertail

Thank Guys and Alan! You guys are great!

Alto Mare

He is, I'm not!.....I'm just one of his students like yourself. Glad it worked out for you. Take care, Sal