Calling all Long-Rangers...

Started by Aiala, May 17, 2016, 11:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

Even on a 16 day trip they don't have to stop... not even for more beer!  Sometimes you do have to make bait.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Aiala

Okay, so it appears that the 2017 SOA has already been fully subscribed, seemingly overnight. That's great, and I hope nobody got shut out, but if they did, and have any inclination to upgrade to a slightly longer 8-day, the ROYAL STAR has a Tiburon-sponsored trip leaving on Friday, June 2nd. (Returning Saturday, June 10th.) I'm already signed up, and there are currently 17 spots available. Cost is 2450.00, which comes out to 306.25 per day. (Just to compare, at 1700.00 the SOA works out to 340.00 per day, so you can see the STAR's trip is also quite reasonably priced.)

Here's the STAR's link:  http://www.royalstarsportfishing.com/schedule.php  I've been fishing this fine boat for going on two decades, and she offers a top-notch operation in every respect.

Needless to say, it'd be mighty slick to assemble a cadre of experienced AT long-rangers; and just imagine how much Tiburon gear we'd bring aboard!   :D

Anyway, something to consider during the long winter hiatus.  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Mudman

ah, I really wish I could do these kinds of trips. It was my original goal when I started on sport boats only late last year.

On my last full day trip I got extremely sea sick, it was the first time actually out of the 8 total trips I had done previously. Had to be on my birthday of all times too, purchased a new rod and reel just for the occasion. One of the more embarrassing moments I've had. Now here I am, in a dilemma. REALLY itching to fish, and having a high sense of fear about getting back on anything more than a half day.  :'(

Hoping someday I can build up to a multi day trip, it's something I've wanted to do even as a child. The paranoia in the back of my mind feel almost debilitating.

RowdyW

There are many remedys for seasickness. Check with your local pharmacy. Some of them have to be started to use the day before your trip. Don't look down, look at the horizon. Eat light & nothing greasy. Stay hydraided before going. Stay away from the back of the boat where the exaust fumes are. I hope that helps some.

Aiala

Mudman, I can tell you that many, MANY anglers on the long-range boats use --and swear by-- the scopolamine patch:  https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a682509.html

The principal side effect they mentioned was some dryness in the mouth... easily compensated for with beverage of choice.   ;)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Gfish

Lotsa people get over it after 'bout 1-2 days, a very few never do. To be honest it's an extreamly miserable condition to be in. I've been like that fora day ana-half, one time odda three trips and then it passed.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bryan Young

Mud man, honestly that is one of my greatest fears. But I try not to think about it. I use a half patch (yeah, I know I'm not supposed to cut it but I sterilized the scissors before cutting. A whole patch is too strong. I renew a couple of days later. I have lost the patch sometime and didn't even realize it. I guess my body got used to the motion.

Just remember to always stay hydrated.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

I know this is a serious condition, but I think most of it is mental.
I served in the Navy and took some serious waves.
The only thing I did was kept food on my stomach. Nothing else.
That first step on land was a shocker.
Once you get your sea legs, you are not used to solid ground.
Life is Good!

Mudman

Thanks everyone!

Aiala, I'll give the patch a try.

Part of me is wondering, if it could have just been that one time. However I'm paranoid to take the risk again- trying to confirm on another day trip. But if I do get sick once more, it would be misery all over again. I'd like to keep my odds of getting sea sick to a minimum. Something I find helpful on the way back, was having someone to talk to.

Shark Hunter, you may be right about the mental part. When I was chatting it up- it took my mind off the sickness. While I did still feel awful, having someone to talk to helped a ton.

Bryan, how can you tell if the patch is too strong?

I'm willing to try whatever it takes, fishing is too fun to miss out on due to fear.

Bryan Young

The meds are too strong when you cannot even swallow from dry mouth.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

David Hall

I don't experience sea sickness but after multi days at sea I sure have trouble walking on dry land for the next week.

Mudman

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 31, 2016, 10:22:38 PM
The meds are too strong when you cannot even swallow from dry mouth.
Wow! Had no idea it could be like that. I tend to drink a lot of water normally, but I'll watch out for this. Can't wait to hit the water again.

Quote from: David Hall on October 31, 2016, 10:36:12 PM
I don't experience sea sickness but after multi days at sea I sure have trouble walking on dry land for the next week.
I experience the drunken land walk even from half day boats.  :)

Ron Jones

My favorite part is trying to go to sleep on land while you stil feel the bed rocking. If it is gentle I "rock" myself to sleep without moving. If my brain is rocking a little more aggressively it is all I can do to lay down.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"