Calling all Long-Rangers...

Started by Aiala, May 17, 2016, 11:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

In the spirit of Ohana...

It occasionally crosses my mind —as a termite will a hotplate— that, setting aside the annual SOA charter, more than a few of our AT members are experienced veterans of 8-day (or longer) trips. Which being the case, it occurs to me that it might be useful to know whenever a member signs up for one of these extended voyages, the idea being that others would have an opportunity to follow suit if so inclined. It's always agreeable to fish with an acquaintance or two, and if a chance came along to meet some fellow AT-ers, why, so much the better!  :)

For instance, at the moment I've reserved two upcoming trips: A June 3rd 8-day aboard ROYAL STAR sponsored by Baja Fish Gear, and a December 11th 10-day aboard EXCEL sponsored by Melton Tackle. Both still have a handful of spots left, and needless to say, it would be grand if anyone else from AT could come along! These longer trips are a sizeable investment, I know, but look at what we spend on tackle! Besides, the fishing —and variety— can be downright incredible. And there are other benefits, too; just seeing the Alijos Rocks is something out of this world.  :o

Finally, from time to time the idea has been tossed around of an "old school" trip for those of us who love fishing with classic gear... maybe this would be a way to start forming a core group, so that such a charter could become a reality before Father Time puts it out of reach for some of us.  :-\

So, if anyone's got some planned trips in the pipeline, please, let us know. Meantime, happy fishing & tight lines, everyone... go get 'em!  ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

steelhead_killer

><)))">

swill88

Great idea Aiala for gathering acquaintances on a fishing trip.

It's always better to have friends scattered around the rails.

Cuts down on the combat nature that sometimes pops up.

The shortest 'long range' trip is 1.5 day ride out of San Diego.

I'm going out with a couple friends on The Prowler Friday night 5/27. Cruise all night, sleep.

Fish all day Saturday. Bluefin, Yellow fin, Yellow Tail. Experienced captain.

Return Sunday morning ... $300.  No need for a hotel.

No guarantees but you get to blue water. Space available.

If you're an OG like me ask for a middle bunk.

Steve

http://www.fishermanslanding.com/pages/Prowler.php

Big Tim

I am rapidly getting closer to the day that I will be able to do more than one and done long range trips per year and love the idea of reaching out to AT members to fish with. We had a fantastic time in Morro Bay and though I love my Central Coast, I hear the calling of the South  ;D Soon I hope to meet more of you on the rail. Aiala...some day we will fish together  ;D

BT

akfish

I've been fishing on the Loftus and Martin 15 Day trip on the Red Rooster III every March for the past several years. Most of the passengers are regulars but there are always a couple newbys on each trip. We're not spring chickens and while here are some **very** good fishermen (not me!) in the group, everyone who fishes hard and fun is welcome. No one uses what I would call classic tackle, unless you consider Two Speed Penn Internationals classic; Avet and Accurate reels are most common. The target is cow tuna and we always catch lots of wahoo as "by catch." Drop me a PM or go to the Red Rooster website and follow the link to Loftus and Martin if you want more information.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

it's a little early in the season, but i can talk to annemarie about an 8 day trip in august 2017.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Aiala

Quote from: akfish on May 18, 2016, 12:49:09 AM
I've been fishing on the Loftus and Martin 15 Day trip on the Red Rooster III every March for the past several years. Most of the passengers are regulars but there are always a couple newbys on each trip. We're not spring chickens and while here are some **very** good fishermen (not me!) in the group, everyone who fishes hard and fun is welcome. No one uses what I would call classic tackle, unless you consider Two Speed Penn Internationals classic; Avet and Accurate reels are most common. The target is cow tuna and we always catch lots of wahoo as "by catch." Drop me a PM or go to the Red Rooster website and follow the link to Loftus and Martin if you want more information.

My very first 8-day back in the late 80's (early 90's?)was aboard the RRIII... it left the day after Christmas, and was called the "New Year Special". We went to Alijos, and I caught so many fish it was ridiculous, including second jackpot with a fat grouper (bottom fish counted in those days). Fun as all get-out... and to this day, the most hellacious ride uphill I've ever experienced; more than 24 hours of holding on with all fours to keep from flying around like a cork in a washing machine. I really liked the boat... she's big, solid, lots of fishing room, comfortable salon and nice staterooms. I'd ride her again with pleasure... but not to the islands. Been there, done that, and my cow fever is a thing of the past.  ;)

~A

Rancanfish

Well you almost had Dominick convinced until you mentioned that ride.   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

akfish

Well, you can get that bumpy ride just coming back fro the Rocks on an 8 day. One of the main reasons I fish the March trip is that it is after the hurricane season so it shouldn't get too ugly and usually doesn't. That said, last year was ugly: Almost 3 days of what seemed like foot seas on the ride home. It wasn't fun, but at least I had lots of wahoo and tuna -- including a couple almost cows -- in the hold to think about.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Aiala

Quote from: Rancanfish on May 18, 2016, 04:28:29 AM
Well, you almost had Dominick convinced until you mentioned that ride. ;D

Dang... and I was so looking forward to seeing him in that purple Speedo!  :o  :D

~A~

Aiala

Just signed up for a 3-day aboard POLARIS SUPREME, leaves Thursday August 25th returns Sunday August 28th. This charter is billed as "Sadie Hawkins/Seeker-Sponsored", led by noted lady angler Baja Bev, who is (of course) also an AT member: http://www.bajabev.com/   :)

Needless to say, I am greatly looking forward to this voyage! POLARIS SUPREME is one of the premier SD long-rangers, AND for once I won't be outnumbered by the men 35-to-1, or something.  ::)

I'm hopeful that by then we'll have YFTs and dorado in local range, as well as the ever-reliable YTs. There are still 11 open spots, and guys are definitely welcome... if you can stand being outfished by a bunch of girls!  ;)  :D  ;D

~A~

Rancanfish

I'm a big BajaBev fan from wayback!

She actually has a book too, Aiala.  So I now own books from two lady anglers!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Wally15

There's currently 1 spot left on the Dec 11th 10 day. I'm sorely tempted to sign up, fishing Alijos has always been a bucket list item of mine.
I'm not that impressed with the trip descriptions on the Excel website. It doesn't even say where the trip goes. Is there any additional info published anywhere about the Dec 11th Melton Tackle trip, Aiala?
I better wait till my arm and shoulder gets fixed before I tackle a cow. Once I'm somewhat healed, I might sign up as a fill-in if all the spot are gone. My Christmas present to myself.
Looks like they rent decent tackle.
Bah Humbug
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Aiala

Quote from: Rancanfish on June 30, 2016, 12:58:39 AM
I'm a big BajaBev fan from wayback! She actually has a book too, Aiala.  So I now own books from two lady anglers!

Randy, yup! I'm going to buy and read The Lady and the Lingcod before we go... it'll be extra-cool to fish with a fellow author.   ;)

~A~

Aiala

Quote from: Wally15 on June 30, 2016, 01:46:30 AM
There's currently 1 spot left on the Dec 11th 10 day.

Mike, that spot just opened up from a cancellation; the trip has actually been sold out for many weeks. If you're truly interested, I'd jump on it. If something happened and you couldn't go, I am sure there will be a waiting list to take your place.

Quote from: Wally15 on June 30, 2016, 01:46:30 AMI'm sorely tempted to sign up, fishing Alijos has always been a bucket list item of mine.

As it should be; Alijos is something almost beyond description. Even if the fishing isn't always wide-open, just being out there is an otherworldly experience.

Quote from: Wally15 on June 30, 2016, 01:46:30 AMI'm not that impressed with the trip descriptions on the EXCEL website. It doesn't even say where the trip goes. Is there any additional info published anywhere about the Dec 11th Melton Tackle trip, Aiala?

Don't worry about the descriptions, those guys are fishermen, not writers. (Well, except for Tim Ekstrom of the ROYAL STAR.) The trip will go where the fish are, probably down to the Thetis Bank, Uncle Sam, Mag Bay, and out to Alijos. Here's Melton's relevant web page: http://www.meltontackle.com/big-game-fishing-charters/2016-december-melton-tackle-excel-long-range-trip.html

Quote from: Wally15 on June 30, 2016, 01:46:30 AMI better wait till my arm and shoulder gets fixed before I tackle a cow.

Odds of hooking into a true "cow" of 200 or more pounds are pretty remote, although anywhere up to 150 is certainly possible. (I caught a 125 on a ten-day aboard ROYAL POLARIS.) Besides, if you get tired, you can always hand it off to me.  ;D

Quote from: Wally15 on June 30, 2016, 01:46:30 AMOnce I'm somewhat healed, I might sign up as a fill-in if all the spot are gone. My Christmas present to myself.

Aw, c'mon, just go for it. We would have an absolute blast, I promise!  ;)

Quote from: Wally15 on June 30, 2016, 01:46:30 AMLooks like they rent decent tackle.
That's never a problem. And I've got plenty of extra outfits, too.   :)

~A~