Strange handle side spool grinding

Started by AlcoholicFisherman, May 19, 2016, 05:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlcoholicFisherman

I'm currently fixing up my friend's old beat up 209 previously owned by a rather peculiar fellow who seems to have just short of destroyed the reel.

After cleaning, replacing all of the bearing parts, all of the post and reel foot screws, the entire worm assembly, the reel foot, and as well as installing a new spool and drags, the reel still cannot operate properly.

Currently, if I hold the reel with the nonhandle side to the ground and the handle side in the air, it will spin freely and turn with no issue. But if I hold the reel level or begin tilting towards the handle side, the reel will began making this horrid scraping feeling.

What have I missed? Could it be the pinion gear?  ???

RonRico

I have a Jigmaster that does that, I'd love to figure out why...
Steve from Florida

*Not actually named Ron*

*Not actually from St. Pomme de Terre*

RowdyW

The spool may be shifted to far to the right (handle side)because the adjustment on the bearing on the left side may have been over tightened for a period of time wearing the right side bearing & possibly the spool also. Try a new right side bearing & hope that the spool isn't worn to badly. When adjusting the left bearing the spool should have a little side to side play (.005 to .010").                         Rudy

cbar45

Quote from: AlcoholicFisherman on May 19, 2016, 05:33:37 AM

Currently, if I hold the reel with the nonhandle side to the ground and the handle side in the air, it will spin freely and turn with no issue. But if I hold the reel level or begin tilting towards the handle side, the reel will began making this horrid scraping feeling.

If the spool being too far to the right is the culprit, you might also try shimming the right-side bushing--or try a different spool.

oc1

He put in a new spool already.  Doesn't take long to spend the cost of a 209 on parts.
-steve

cbar45

Yes, sometimes it can be cost-prohibitive to keep on trying various combinations of parts until the problem is solved.

Sometimes older Penns can be finicky with the tolerances when adding otherwise new and correct bushings and spools--especially if those new parts were manufactured much later than the originals.

Perhaps that is true in this case, perhaps not, only sharing.

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on May 19, 2016, 06:33:38 AM
The spool may be shifted to far to the right (handle side)because the adjustment on the bearing on the left side may have been over tightened for a period of time wearing the right side bearing & possibly the spool also. Try a new right side bearing & hope that the spool isn't worn to badly. When adjusting the left bearing the spool should have a little side to side play (.005 to .010").                         Rudy

Yup!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mikeysm

Look around for the shim that was most likely on the bearing when it was removed for cleaning.

Mike

Reel 224

I'm repeating what some said about adjusting the spool center, only because it can be the most ignored solution to this problem. If you back out the two adjusting screws and adjust them a little at a time from side to side paying attention to center then check your side to side play in the spool to be very slight, if you hear rubbing on one side back off on the other side and slightly adjust the other side inward.

I'm suggesting this to you from experience with a up graded 500 JigMaste I had the same problem with until I went threw this procedure. Ive repeated this adjustment for several days breaking in the free spool.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

cbar45

Alcoholic Fisherman,

I have a complete and working 209 along with a spare right-sideplate w/internals.

Are you located in the U.S.?  

If so I'd be happy to donate those parts if it would help you complete your project.

Chad

thorhammer

well you cant beat Chad's generous offer, but in addition to checking bearing adjustment, you have to make sure the levelwind bearings are tuned also. this will cause multiple issues.

mizmo67

Make sure the framework of the reel is squared. Sounds like it's crooked a bit on the one side.

Sit on table, loosen all the screws. Square the reel against the table, and retighten.

See if that helps.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

AlcoholicFisherman

First off, thank you all for the help. And especially cbar45 for his generous offer.

While going through some of the suggestions and playing with the reel bearings, I opened up the reel one more time and noticed that the eccentric jack was actually bent slightly upwards, holding the pinion gear in loose and not gripping the eccentric properly (I did mention the reel was really badly beat up). I temporarily substituted it with another and the reel began to work flawlessly.

mo65

Interesting...all of the suggestions given here I have seen cause rubbing...yet it was something I haven't experienced yet. Thanks AlcoholicFisherman for the heads up...and congrats on finding the culprit!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mizmo67

That would do it! Glad you were able to narrow it down.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com