PENN 113-H - main gear - inner ring

Started by Marlinmate, July 15, 2016, 01:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

Got one in the shop and tore it down to find the brass? inner ring on the main gear has become detached from the gear itself.  Can I still use it or do i need a new one?

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

RowdyW

That's the way it fits, just reinsert it. It is an after market insert for heavier Versa style drags. Some fit tight & some are loose. It won't fall out when completly assembled.      Rudy

Tightlines667

You can try using a punch to secure the ring to the steel gear again.  This sometimes works, if it remains loose I would replace the gear, even though it will function loose, I wouldn'the trust a loose ring.  I always thought a delron ring here would work wonders, just not sure how to permanently affix it to the gear.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

The brass ring acts like a bearing. It'll be fine as long as it fits snug.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Marlinmate

Might explain why my spacer washer 4-349 was chewed to pieces??

Alto Mare

Quote from: Marlinmate on July 15, 2016, 01:21:21 AM
Might explain why my spacer washer 4-349 was chewed to pieces??

That would do it!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Marlinmate

probably going to replace with a new one....just for piece of mind

RowdyW

The 4-349 washer is under the main gear not under the insert. They don't touch each other. I can't see how the insert would tear up the fiber washer. You could always epoxy the ring into the gear if you have to have a tight fit.

Marlinmate

day0ne

Rowdy, that isn't an insert, it is part of the main gear that has come loose. It sits directly on the undergear washer. I personally wouldn't use that gear in any reel of mine.  A replacement gear on ebay is too cheap. A new one is only $14. It looks like someone has already tried to peen it back in to place already.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

RowdyW

OK, now i understand. I thought it was an insert for eared CF washers. That is the bearing for the main gear that is pressed in at the factory. Without a doubt it is trash no matter what a new main gear costs.     Rudy

Bryan Young

If the ring fits snug, and if there is a concern, I would braze the brass ring in the main gear then sand and polish smooth.  That's because I'm a tinkerer and I don't like to spend money unless I have to. ;)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I'm with Bryan, I wouldn't spend the money for a replacement of that main gear, there isn't anything wrong with it. Some say the rings used as bushings and some same noise reduction.
If it fits snug, no need to do anything, it will stay in place once everything gets assembled. If it's too lose, get creating finding a way to make it stay in place, or make your own.
Bring the gear with you to a home center and test fit some couplings, you might find one that fits nice and snug, as this one

A dremel will work making yourself a new ring, make it a little longer and hit it on a belt sander to  get it perfect....just a thought.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.