New member 1st post

Started by bigash, March 06, 2011, 08:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigash

Hi Alan and all the members,my first post. Dont even know how i found this site as i was trolling through the net jumping from one link to another(as you do) looking for info for my Daiwa slosh 20 shv. Had a problem yesterday,the drag kept slipping. So using Alans pic sequence and advice on the slosh 30 i stripped down the reel step by step,cleaned,greased and re-assembled as directed. Eureka,or so i thought but no it's still slipping. Suspect i've done something wrong. Anyway its getting late in bonny Scotland so i might have another go tomorrow.

Just really wanted to say hello. cheers Ash
I never knew what happiness was till i got married. Jeez i dont half miss it. !!!

alantani

welcome!  got spectra slipping on the spool?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Welcome aboard  Ash.
Cheers,  Sal from PA.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Welcome Ash.  Scotland?  One of our favorite places in the world.  Clean air, friendly people, and good hearty breakfasts.  Loved kippers and the smooooooothest Scotch I had ever tasted.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Hey Bryan did you bring any samples back? ;D ;D ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Roger

Welcome aboard from South Louisiana, USA......
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

Welcome from Northern California, Ash. I'll raise a wee nip to ye! ;)
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 06, 2011, 10:49:33 PMHey Bryan did you bring any samples back? ;D ;D ;D
We did.  I think we brought back 10 bottles of German wine, 5 bottles of Scotch (I cannot remember what brand), and a several bottles of Drumgray and Heathers Scotish Cream.  My customs list was 7 pages long.  Boy our luggage was HEAVY!!!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Bryan, warm up a  shots of that good scotch and bring it over to Alan, it'll knock that cold right out.

bigash

Quote from: alantani on March 06, 2011, 09:47:56 PM
welcome!  got spectra slipping on the spool?
Hi Alan and thanks for all the "welcomes" guys. Sorry Alam dont know what you mean by "spectra slipping" As i said i stripped the whole thing down found that the anti reverse pawl spring was'nt in correctly,a ha i thought,that'll be the problem. Put it right and reassembled. At first i thought it was perfect,the sense of satisfaction was overwhelming ! but the sensation was shortlived,coz with some steady pressure on the line the drag started slipping again. So i tightened up the star as much as i could nope no difference ? Any idea's whats wrong.
I never knew what happiness was till i got married. Jeez i dont half miss it. !!!

alantani

i was wondering if the line was slipping while the spool stayed stationary.  it's been a common problem lately.   ;D

bigash

Quote from: alantani on March 08, 2011, 03:10:28 PM
i was wondering if the line was slipping while the spool stayed stationary.  it's been a common problem lately.   ;D
Ah i've got you now Alan. No the spool is definitely turning,its loaded with good quality 80lb braid. Could i have done something wrong putting the anti reverse mechanism back together ? I checked it working when the reel was still open,it seemed to be clicking away a treat,

How does the star drag system actually work,i've been trying to work this out in my own head. As you tighten it does this compress the washers and force them against the spool mechanism ? ( thats not really what i wanted to say,just could'nt find the right words !!!)

Winter cod season in north east Scotland is pretty much over now for the shore angler so i've pretty much got till October to sort this problem out. !!!9Hope it does'nt take that long) Any advice from you or the other members would be much appreciated. cheers Ash

alantani

if the handle is going backwards, it's an anti-reverse issue.  it sounds like you have minimal drag.  there might be something wrong with the orientation of the drag washers.  does the handle move backwards?  if so, try loosening the right side plate screws just a bit and see if the dog works then.  if so, the screws are putting too much pressure on the side plate.  you may need to file away just a bit at the portion of the side plate just above the dog so that there is just a bit more clearance.  a couple of thousanths of an inch, just a few strokes of the file, may be all that is needed.  alan

bigash

Quote from: alantani on March 08, 2011, 05:22:16 PM
if the handle is going backwards, it's an anti-reverse issue.  it sounds like you have minimal drag.  there might be something wrong with the orientation of the drag washers.  does the handle move backwards?  if so, try loosening the right side plate screws just a bit and see if the dog works then.  if so, the screws are putting too much pressure on the side plate.  you may need to file away just a bit at the portion of the side plate just above the dog so that there is just a bit more clearance.  a couple of thousanths of an inch, just a few strokes of the file, may be all that is needed.  alan
Alan i owe you an apology,you got it in one ! The line IS slipping round the spool. i would'nt have believed it if i had'nt seen it with my own eye's (even though i could'nt see it to begin with !!!)

What i mistook for the spool turning was just the reflection of the braid moving. So next obvious question,how do i solve it ?
I thought maybe tie on 30ft of mono first and bed the braid down on that ? whats your thoughts ? cheers Ash.

codhead

Hi Ash,

I'm in UK (Wincanton, Somerset) and I have two SL 20 SHVs, used for boat fishing, usually mid-channel wrecking, bank fishing for turbot and bassing on Portland Race. My reels are loaded with 300m of 30lb Power-Pro and I've never suffered a problem with braid slipping on the spool. I always load the braid on top of mono backing and then secure the backing with insulating tape. Here's my method:

If spooling one reel, then you will need two spare reels (bigger capacity), to accurately gauge the amount of backing & leader to fill your main reel (reel #1). I generally use around 24' of 40lb fluorocarbon as a leader and any old mono as backing, I can't honestly think of a situation in UK waters where I would need more than 300m of mainline.

1) First tie leader to braid, I double the braid and use an improved albright knot.

2) Tie leader to main reel (reel #1) and spool on leader and braid. I always spool under tension

3) Tie mono backing to braid and continue spooling until spool is full. I like it to be 3mm below the spool lip

4) Once full, tie backing to reel #2 and spool up, under tension, to empty reel #1

5) Once reel #2 is full, tie leader to reel #3 and spool up again

6) Once reel #3 is full, tie mono backing to reel #1 and spool up the backing

7) When all backing is spooled, wind on enough insulating tape to cover backing, then continue to spool braid & leader, again under tension.

8) You should now have your main reel spooled up properly.

If you are shore fishing, there's always the possibility that you will be reeling in without any tension on the braid mainline (after snapping off for example). In this situation, you should occasionally partially empty your spool and re-spool under tension.

If I'm spooling or re-spooling alone (as if often the case - Billy No-Mates), I simply clamp and old butt section to a bench and set the drag on the reels to achieve line tension.

The older I get, the better I was