low cost bearing pack tool

Started by kawgirlval69, May 18, 2016, 11:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kawgirlval69

not sure if anyone has tried this but it works pretty well especially in a pinch. just drop the bearing in add some grease and push the plunger in and hold pressure for about 10 sec and you have a full bearing...  lost my abc hobby one so i came up with this till i find it..  both are quite simple and this costs much much less..lol

ps sorry for the first pics snafu

steelfish

whats the reason of the screw ?

The Baja Guy

STRIPER LOU

So the grease doesn't come out. The pressure is what pushes it into the bearing.
............Lou

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on May 19, 2016, 12:28:52 AM
So the grease doesn't come out. The pressure is what pushes it into the bearing.
............Lou

opps, feel like dummy.

I havent noticed that part of the syringe had the needle were the screw is

thanks
The Baja Guy

cbar45

Nice tip kawgirlval69.

Very useful if one has a bunch of similar-sized bearings needing to be greased.

Syringes meant for rod-building would work great for this purpose; their plungers do not come lubed with excess silicone, as do other brands.

Marcq

Alto Mare

Cool idea, don't really see how it would work but I'll take your word for it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 19, 2016, 01:35:52 AM
Cool idea, don't really see how it would work but I'll take your word for it.

As the plunger is depressed the pressure in the chamber is increased. The only place for the pressure to be relieved is to go inside the bearing.

Alto Mare

I was thinking without an air intake or escape it would get jammed, but what do I know :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

kawgirlval69

Quote from: steelfish on May 18, 2016, 11:41:29 PM
whats the reason of the screw ?

yes it keeps it from coming out and holding the pressure, which is the reason to press it in firmly and hold 10 or so seconds.  every one ive opened to check has been nicley greased.  i was quite surprised it works as well as it did but it is the same concept as alan's but econo.  i lost(someone 5 finger borrowed) my abc hobby one and they are sold out everywhere and i have 12 saltist 50/50h to rush and all of the bearings are pressed seal and the cust is adamant that omg all bearings need the shield ..lol  so this is my mid afternoon brainstorm from the contents of a junk box. 

btw the screw also serves as a drain if you need to flush the grease or to flush a bearing ..dont cut the syringe if you want to use it to flush..

kawgirlval69

thank you all.. that syringe was from a friend that builds rods.

Mang

I know a easier way before I posted up the ABC hobby packer/ bearing blaster.  I'd take a sandwich bag and fill the corner up with grease and put the bearing in and keep squeezing it and eventually grease will go in there.   :P

Tiddlerbasher

Or just use one of Alan's bearing packers - job done ::)

handi2

I bought a 12 pack of those big syringes from Amazon but they were marketed to be used as Jello Shooters. I fill them with grease.

http://www.amazon.com/EZ-InjectTM-Jello-Syringes-Large-2-5oz/dp/B004QI169Q
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL