Bakelite Sideplate & Drag

Started by Rivverrat, June 02, 2016, 02:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Question for Sal or whomever. At what drag level do the Penn Bakelite side plates begin to stress or fail ? ....Jeff

handi2

It takes a lot more than anyone would think. Remember the charter guys will lock the drag down with a hammer and let it rip.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

Quote from: handi2 on June 02, 2016, 07:49:48 PM
It takes a lot more than anyone would think. Remember the charter guys will lock the drag down with a hammer and let it rip.

Baja panga charters also did and some still do the same thing, they lock the drags using a Jaw locking pliers and never release the drag..ever, or the 100# mono line breaks or the rod breaks but I have never seen a 113h or 114h reel spool bent or got trashed by locking the drags.

The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

The bakelite can take lots of stress, the problem would be when the reel twists under load, that's when you could get cracked plates. 
A lot of reels have come through my hands, I have only seen two that were cracked by the handle opening...not a bad number, considering.
Spool shaft is a different story, I have replaced a few of those. I'm not talking about the 3-piece spools, these were the 1- piece spools.
Having the bakelite plates mounted on a custom aluminum frame, I would think something else on that reel would fail before the plates.
With that said, I really like my aluminum plates.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

Thanks to all of you for your replies.
Great information from you all that also agrees with  what I'm hearing from others in the know....Jeff

anglingarchitect

They may not break but they will flex and move, but I love alumn plates, besides the sexy looks, they are strong, rigid.
Keeps the drive train components aligned, fully engaged gears are strong.
mark

Rivverrat

Quote from: anglingarchitect on June 03, 2016, 02:28:05 AM
They may not break but they will flex and move, but I love alumn plates, besides the sexy looks, they are strong, rigid.
Keeps the drive train components aligned, fully engaged gears are strong.
mark

This is very true. However I'm finding that if one stays within 20 - 25 lbs. of drag it doesn't seem to be an issue. Please let me know if your all's thoughts agree with this or not....Jeff  

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL