Hi From Seattle.

Started by 49Freak, June 03, 2016, 02:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

49Freak

Greetings all! Not much of a fisherman, but I have a fascination with the Penn 49 series reels after picking up a scruffy specimen in Long Beach Washington for $8.00 last month. Captivated with the star drag, crank handle, and shiny end rings I bought two more off ebay and then a 113 4/0 Senator and I'm probably headed for intervention therapy. I've purchased repair parts to spiff up the corroded parts and when I found this site I was in heaven! Hopefully I'll drop a line in the sound around here eventually, but right now I'm addicted to this site and cleaning up the 49s. My hat's off to Alan and everyone who contributes to this site, it's a goldmine! Thanks for reading,
                                            John

Keta

Hi, stay away from 349's.... ;D
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

49Freak

Quote from: Keta on June 03, 2016, 03:02:56 AM
Hi, stay away from 349's.... ;D

In my limited exposure those seem to be fewer in number and 2-3 times as expensive though don't think I haven't had my eye on them. If I happen to fall onto one I'll keep it a secret. ;)

Tightlines667

Welcome aboard!

I have a first year 49, 149, and 249 and recently aquired 2 130 Sailfishers (1-ca.1955 in box), but I am still searching for a good example of a boxed first year(ish) 349 to complete my Penn Narrow Reel 'Full House'.

;)

Don't hesitate to ask questions or post pictures of your reels (inside 'n out)

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

steelhead_killer

><)))">

foakes

Welcome, John --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

David Hall

Welcome John,  enjoy your stay and look into the archives there's days of awesome reading on previous posts for everything fishing reel related.   

Shark Hunter

Welcome John.
You are in the right place.
Life is Good!

Marcq

Hey!! Welcome John!! You'll like it here

Marc..

Tiddlerbasher

49Freak

Thank you everyone for the welcome! I didn't realize I was missing this site until I found it.  :D The amount of information here is just incredible and every time I click on one item I see 10 more. I also really like the humor included with the information, just that much more enjoyable.

Thanks again,
               John

alantani

glad to finally get you through the spam filter!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sdlehr

Welcome, John! Anything you need, just ask. We all share the same affliction. I'm thinking of starting a 12-step program.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Classic Mako

Ahh, 49's and 349's I have about a dozen.  Don't use them any more, they now are in the collection.   I have one unique 349, story follows:

This rod has an interesting history. Around 1978 I took a tour of a large tugboat owned by the company I worked for. This tug was used to move log rafts in and around the Straits of Juan de Fuca in the Port Angeles area. Imagine many miles of pulling log rafts at slow trolling speed. When I looked in the engine room to see the large diesel I noticed a rod hanging in a rack. Seems the guys stuck this rod in a rod holder near the stern when towing and pulled a big plug, trying to catch a nice salmon for dinner.

So to the present: Wandering in a junk store two years ago I spied the very same rod, complete with the original plug. Could not get the wallet out fast enough to buy this nice wall hanger for the shop!

Here it is. A crusty Penn 49, mounted backwards and upside down. Spooled with just enough heavy Dacron line to put the plug down to a nice working depth. Guides wrapped on with the same heavy Dacron, it looks like 80 pound. And topped with the "Meat Rod" type swiveling roller tip that was popular around Puget Sound and the Straits many years ago. The brown fiberglass blank is extremely stiff, overall length with handle is 95 inches. My guess is this rod was originally a "Puget Sound Meat Rod" equipped with a Pakron Reel and the Penn 49 was put on at a later date.

The wood handle parts are wrapped with black electricians tape. There is a deep groove worn in the fore grip, from the rod holder. So I imagine this rod has many, many hours under its belt sitting in a rod holder on the tug.

Below, this is the same 7 inch Tomic that was on the rod when I first saw it in 1978.

Below, operation is not all that bad with the reel mounted under, being upside down and backwards you wind in a regular right hand way. 

80 pound dacron wrapping:  Rude and crude but it worked for the tug boat crew.

The roller tip. Note the line should pass through the tube, not under the tube as shown in the photo.

Tightlines667

Interesting rod, and a combo with a great backstory/history. 

Thanks for sharing!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.