Accu-Penn jigmaster conversion-help!

Started by bassgod, March 07, 2011, 09:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassgod

Hey all new to the board, just wondering how many folks out there have converted their penn 500/501's with the accuplates in combination with Tiburon frames.  I pieced it together and there's is a fairly large area in the handle-side side plate and the frame, exposing the main gears.  I don't have a picture now but ill post them up later, but if anyone knows about this how did you go about remedying this issue? Also when installing the bearing housing into the clicker-side side plate I accidentally cross threaded the side plate,I sent it back to accurate to see if they could repair it, and they sent it back to me, but the housing still wont thread in all the way to make contact with the spool shaft, does anybody know of a solution or someone I could send my reel to?   Thanks

Alto Mare

Can you post some pictures? I do not understand what you're trying to explain. sounds to me like you have a 501 spool on a 500 frame, this will never work. Is the spool approximatly 1/8 of an inch wider than the Tiburon frame?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

also, for the bearing cup, do your best to get the threads started, run them in and leave them.  what you've described really sounds like a mess.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bassgod

woo finally done with school for the year, finally have some time to relax and fish.  here are some photos of the issues:
here is the gap area where the gears seem to be exposed, actually see that the frame covers up the little circular cut out where the gears sit, but the only thing shielding any water from getting into the side plate is the spool, is this normal?, i dont think it will be a problem as long as im doing regular maintenance, it just irks me a bit knowing that water can get into the sideplate fairly easily.

here's a picture to show how much play there is in the spool, its about a 1-2 millimeters worth of play which makes the reel pretty much unusable, because the pinion gear also wont engage properly because the spool shaft and pinion gear are not always in contact.

@ alan:
I tried clamping down both bearing housings as much as a could and this is the best i could get it and the bearings still aren't contacting the shaft, the left side bearing housing bottoms out where the side plate ends and wont come out anymore to meet the spool shaft.  just wondering if you know of any fixes or if possible could i send it in to you for a looksy, thanks

stan

Bryan Young

Hi Stan,  Welcome.

You may need to shim the bearing between the bearing and the bearing cup with bearing shims (shims the OD and not the shaft of the bearing.  This will push the left side bearing, and therefore, push the spool, over to the right.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

You can also remove the bridge and check the clutch springs, (the two spings under the yoke). See if the springs feel firm, if they do,   extend them out about a quarter of an inch more and put them back, sometimes that helps. If the springs feel soft, you need to replace them. A little of play is normal on that reel and that's what is leading me towards the clutch. It might be someting else, but that would be a good place to start. Good luck!
Your pictures are not too detailed, do you also have an adjustable bearing on the handle side on that reel? Some of my accurate do.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bassgod

@bryan young: thanks for the welcome, I had taken the reel to the rod rack in Hayward before it closed and the owner said I would be needing shims, and to my understanding would sit behind the bearing making the bearing sit slightly outside of the housing in order for the bearing to make contact with the spool shaft?  do you know anyone who sells said shims?

@Alto mare: haha yeah sorry my camera is a clunker from 1997 so all my pictures trying to catch details end up really blurry.  I don't think its the springs, I know the play is coming from the bearings not making contact with the shaft because the bearing housings have bottomed out on both sides and wont screw in anymore and have not even come close to contacting the shaft.  There are two adjustable bearing housings, both of which have bottomed out, I'm fairly sure that the right side housing is in good position, and the left side bearing housing should be screwed in more to make contact, however with the previous cross threading issue it just won't go anymore, I'm wondering if I could get the housing and side plate re-tapped and that would fix it?

this really irks me since I spent the money on the side plates and frame to convert it and now I may have to go back to the stock side plates -.-", next time maybe I'll just save my money and get a saltist i guess.

Alto Mare

Stan. your pictures are not bad , I just didn't get to see the angle that I was looking for. About that spool, I hear what rod rock and Bryan are  saying about the shims, but I would still give the springs a shot, if the pinion is sitting too low it can also couse what you're experiencing. I leave that one up to you and hopefully you'll get it working so you can enjoy it before heading back to school. Good luck to you, Sal

Bryan Young

McMaster Carr has a good selection of stainless steel shims.  Another option is if you can ever get over to Alans, he's got some shims that will probably fit, or we could modify to fit.  The shim OD should be the same OD as your bearing.  His only request is bring beer.   ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

stan, i'm just across the bay from you.  we need to get you over here and we'll take a look.  the right side plate is fine,  the left spool cap probably has to be shimmed.  we had a problem a few years ago with some of these spools.  apparently there were three different lengths for the spool shafts for these reels.  send me a pm next time you're in the saratoga area.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Stan, just out of curiosity; place the reel vertically with the handle facing down and spinn the spool. Let me know if you hear any rubbing sound.

Bryan Young

when the spool is spinning rotate it where the spool is resting on the right bearing, and rotate to the left bearing, and let me know how it sounds.

Alto Mare

Bryan, I thought I asked the question in English, I guess not. ;D ;D

Bryan Young

Lack of sleep, you don't always ready things that makes sense... ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Quote from: Alto Mare on June 05, 2011, 12:33:01 PM
Bryan, I thought I asked the question in English, I guess not. ;D ;D

bassgod

@ Alto Mare there is a rubbing sound from the spool rubbing on the side plate, I am assuming that the spool can move because the bearing are not holding the shaft in place

@ alan hey will do, not in the southbay too often but should be making a trip down there to visit my pops in the near future thanks