ANOTHER PENN SCREW SHEARED OFF...Part #34-50T

Started by Marlinmate, March 08, 2011, 03:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

Got down to the last clamp screw on a Penn 30S and wouldn't you know it...a little torque to get the post started, and it sheared off !! >:(

This makes the 4th screw I've had to drill out and tap.

Anyone know the pitch/thread size of this screw?  Penn Part #34-50T

Thanks in advance
FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

alantani

there are several different sizes that are used.  the biggest one is a 1/4-20.  depending on your degree of success, you might end up switching to that anyway. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Looks like those screws are giving you a tough time, maybe you should give Penn a call. I wonder if anybody else is experiencing the same problem. My issue was with the self tapping screws on the 114H, the head snapped off on all of them.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Marlinmate

Honestly....these reels I'm working on are all from the same owner.......who NEVER maintains his stuff. The Penn 50's are first generations with the posts on them, and have NEVER been serviced, greased or lubed. Fished hard, and put away with sprinkling of fresh water.

He delivered them on rods of equal issues. Removable butts corroded together, corrosion on the reel seats etc....

In fact, he had the rods and reels in the bed of his pickup, where he also has a yard or 2 of top soil. Do the math.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Marlinmate

GOOD NEWS!    ALL PENN REELS HAVE BEEN SUCESSFULLY DRILLED OUT AND TAPPED. THANKS TO ALL WHO CHIMED IN ON THREAD SIZES AND PITCHES AND TAPS

NOTE - A DRILL PRESS IS A MUST WITH PROPER CLAMPS AND PATIENCE    ;)

Alto Mare

I'm glad you're bringing them back to life. I hope he's getting charged enough, so next time he tosses his gear in  the dirt he'll think about it twice. I hate that, I take care of my reels better than I take care of  myself. Sal

Marlinmate

He will be charged appropriately.....and schooled in rod/reel maintenance.