How to get better free spool

Started by Brystons, June 11, 2016, 08:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brystons

Hey guys so I just finished converting my 113h to a hlw. I got new bearings for both sides, I'm pretty sure they are the ceramic bearings the ones with the orange seal. My only problem is I don't seem to get really good free spool. I'll spin it and it's spin for like less than 10 seconds and it doesn't seem to be running anywhere.

Yogi_fish808

Hopefully theres no issue with the plates being aligned. But a few other key things are making sure you have a tiny bit like 1mm side to side play on the spool when in freespool, adjust the bearing cap to do this. Our preferred spool bearing oil here is tsi321, great stuff. Other things that help are polishing the spool shaft and inside the pinion gear to eliminate that friction point. Also sometimes the shoulders of the spool shaft may contact the pinion a tiny bit causing friction. The methods to do these things have been discussed at length, just search for it. 

Aloha,
Kyle

akfish

Make sure there is no grease on the edge of the spool; this can reduce free spool if the grease contacts the side plates. BTW: Not all bearings with orange seals are ceramic.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

johndtuttle

Quote from: Brystons on June 11, 2016, 08:48:36 AM
Hey guys so I just finished converting my 113h to a hlw. I got new bearings for both sides, I'm pretty sure they are the ceramic bearings the ones with the orange seal. My only problem is I don't seem to get really good free spool. I'll spin it and it's spin for like less than 10 seconds and it doesn't seem to be running anywhere.

If they are ceramic you want no oil on them whatsoever for max free spool. Just clean and dry.

handi2

I can put those bearings on the end of a needle nose plier and they will spin for 30 seconds all but them selves.

Add a drop of oil and no spin...
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

bluefish69

Even if the Pinion Gear is new clean the inside hole where the spool shaft goes.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Brystons

Thanks for all the replies. So I took the reel back apart and I tried spinning the bearing on my needle nose pliers and absolutely no spin. I opened up the bearings and there's some corrosionX in the bearings so I'm going to clean them out. I've read the thread on bearings posted by Alan. Does the carb cleaner leave any residue? Do I spray them with the carb cleaner then blow it out with compressed air.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Brystons on June 11, 2016, 10:09:25 PM
Thanks for all the replies. So I took the reel back apart and I tried spinning the bearing on my needle nose pliers and absolutely no spin. I opened up the bearings and there's some corrosionX in the bearings so I'm going to clean them out. I've read the thread on bearings posted by Alan. Does the carb cleaner leave any residue? Do I spray them with the carb cleaner then blow it out with compressed air.

1. Be careful with Carb Cleaner and wear proper eye protection.

2. It leaves no residue and will completely evaporate.

3. The pro techs use compressed air to speed up the process. No need on your end. Just leave them on a paper towel to dry.

handi2

Even with stock greased bearings the reel should spin much better that 10 seconds. When I assemble those reels I put grease on top of the bearings for corrosion protection and they have great free spool.

I believe the slow free spool is with the reel itself. Being a wide reel I think doesn't help. Alan T has a great write up on how to get the best free spool with a star drag reel.

The main friction point is between the spool shaft and pinion gear. Get that area cleaned and polished and see if it gets better. If you have some super thin oil use it.

When you get line on the spool it will spin much better.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Brystons

Hey everyone thanks again for the help. So when I took apart the reel there was a lot of grease on the spool shaft going into the pinion gear. So I cleaned the spool shaft and the pinion gear and it's got a lot better free spool. Mahalo!

Alto Mare

Quote from: handi2 on June 12, 2016, 12:41:58 AM
Even with stock greased bearings the reel should spin much better that 10 seconds. When I assemble those reels I put grease on top of the bearings for corrosion protection and they have great free spool.

I believe the slow free spool is with the reel itself. Being a wide reel I think doesn't help. Alan T has a great write up on how to get the best free spool with a star drag reel.

The main friction point is between the spool shaft and pinion gear. Get that area cleaned and polished and see if it gets better. If you have some super thin oil use it.

When you get line on the spool it will spin much better.

Keith
I don't know Keith, the best free spool on mine is on a wide one. Yes, the line helps quite a bit.

Bryston, if you needed more, remove the shield from the bearings, clean them really good and add just one drop of TSI 301. Doing so you will need to service the reel more often than usual. I prefer grease in my bearings.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.