Bringing out the shine

Started by Brystons, June 04, 2016, 09:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Quote from: Three se7ens on June 07, 2016, 04:58:29 AM
Quote from: day0ne on June 07, 2016, 04:48:36 AM
I start out with Bar Keepers Friend which is a mild scouring powder containing oxalic acid. Usually that is enough. It works very fast, unlike Nevr Dull.

Bar Keepers Friend acts as a mild passivating agent on stainless steel parts.  Basically, stainless parts can rust when sanded, machined, etc because it exposes free iron particles within the stainless steel.  Passivating stainless parts is a chemical process that dissolves any free iron on the surface, and leaving a thin chromium oxide layer that gives stainless its rust preventative properties. 

In addition, chlorides attack stainless steel.  That includes bleach, and salt water.  Some grades handle it better than others, but using Bar Keepers Friend will maintain and prolong stainless parts better than most alternatives.  I use Bar Keepers Friend in the solution I tumble polish all of my stainless parts in to enhance the corrosion resistance. 

That's good to know
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Three se7ens

Quote from: oc1 on June 07, 2016, 07:26:28 AM
Does Bar Keepers Friend leave grit in the gear teeth??
-steve

Its a powder, kinda like comet.  You mix it with water into a slurry to clean parts.  Use it after degreasing everything, and be sure to rinse it off completely after you are done.  I dont think Id recommend long time soaks with it, though.

oc1

Like Comet, Bar Keepers Friend has some sore of gritty abrasive in it.  I never tried it on a reel but would not want any of that gritty stuff left behind.
-steve

CaptainRMF

Hey Brystons. If you want quick and easy this is what I used on all my internals. I got it at Home Depot to keep the brass foot rail on my bar shiny. After degreasing the internals with Simple Green, rinsing in water the let dry. I use a small buffing wheel in a dremel or battery drill, squirt some on the piece and buff. Takes all the black tarnish off real easy and leaves a great shine.                                                   Richy.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Maxed Out

That's good to know Captain, I might give it a try.

Up till now, nothing else I've tried comes close to the nevr-dull and no machinery required  ;) ;)

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

thorhammer

Quote from: Maxed Out on June 08, 2016, 06:25:50 PM

Up till now, nothing else I've tried comes close to the nevr-dull and no machinery required  ;) ;)

Ted

Ted, I think you may have some OCD issues....:)

Maxed Out

Quote from: thorhammer on June 08, 2016, 06:48:00 PM
Quote from: Maxed Out on June 08, 2016, 06:25:50 PM

Up till now, nothing else I've tried comes close to the nevr-dull and no machinery required  ;) ;)

Ted

Ted, I think you may have some OCD issues....:)

OCD ? Well, I never reeely cared much for Over the Counter Drugs :D :D, I prefer the prescription type.  ;D ;D

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!