Bringing out the shine

Started by Brystons, June 04, 2016, 09:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brystons

Does anyone know a good polish or that's any techniques on how to get the ugly grease stains cleaned off the reel internals? I noticed in the stickied 113hlw post that the person got the reel parts all nice and shiny and I was wondering how he did that?

STRIPER LOU

Never Dull can do wonders if you don't mind a little hand work. Available at Wal-Mart or any automotive store.
..................Lou

RiverAngler

Never Dull works wonders on non ferrus (?) metals of all kinds.
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

RowdyW

Any type of polishing compound will work also.            Rudy

bluefish69

I use Never Dull & Brasso. It works good but Don't get the Brasso in the writing on a Penn Reel. PITA to remove it.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Maxed Out

Nevr-Dull is what I use. (nevr-dull is correct spelling)

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Marcq

I use MOTHERS Mag&Aluminum polish

Marc..

bluefish69

Quote from: Maxed Out on June 04, 2016, 10:04:29 PM
Nevr-Dull is what I use. (nevr-dull is correct spelling)

Ted

Ted - You buy the Nevr-Dull that everyone buys. My Never - Dull is made special. That's why the spelling is different.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Brystons

Thanks guys! Man Ted that's what I call shine!

handi2

If the metal is stained really bad get some of the Scotch Brite polishing Dremel bits that fit in the Dremel tool. I get them on eBay and they save a bunch of time.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Three se7ens

After degreasing and cleaning, I use a buffing wheel on a bench grinder with white rouge.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12860.0  Before and after can be seen there.

day0ne

I start out with Bar Keepers Friend which is a mild scouring powder containing oxalic acid. Usually that is enough. It works very fast, unlike Nevr Dull.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Three se7ens

Quote from: day0ne on June 07, 2016, 04:48:36 AM
I start out with Bar Keepers Friend which is a mild scouring powder containing oxalic acid. Usually that is enough. It works very fast, unlike Nevr Dull.

Bar Keepers Friend acts as a mild passivating agent on stainless steel parts.  Basically, stainless parts can rust when sanded, machined, etc because it exposes free iron particles within the stainless steel.  Passivating stainless parts is a chemical process that dissolves any free iron on the surface, and leaving a thin chromium oxide layer that gives stainless its rust preventative properties. 

In addition, chlorides attack stainless steel.  That includes bleach, and salt water.  Some grades handle it better than others, but using Bar Keepers Friend will maintain and prolong stainless parts better than most alternatives.  I use Bar Keepers Friend in the solution I tumble polish all of my stainless parts in to enhance the corrosion resistance. 

oc1

Does Bar Keepers Friend leave grit in the gear teeth??
-steve