TimH

What are some common solutions to spools that "scream" or "whistle"

kamuwela

first thought that comes to mind is a bad bearing

TimH

same here, but its been replaced and still making the same noise

Alto Mare

What type of reel do you have?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TimH

Alto Mare

Sorry, I can't help you but I'm sure someone will chime in . Hang in there and good luck. :-X
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TimH

actually ended up being the centrifugal brakes. one of them was scraping the spool casing causing it make that noise.

Henning

I had the same problem with my Curado 201e7.  Owner of the local tackle shop told me that the cetrifugal brake pins could rattle around and make a wizzing noise as well.  Anyone else ever hear that?

Nessie Hunter

I do a lot of Rebuilds and upgrades to small & Med reels..   
Lots of Ceramic Hybrid bearings in the Spools..

I hear that Wizzing a lot..  Fast Spool!!!!

Also,
The Newer Shimano DC reels have a wire winding & magnets in the left side.  This generates enough electricity to power the Digital Control...   
Sounds like an electric motor with no load revving up!! Cool!!!! 

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Texas Triton Shooter

A clean Q-tip, a few drops of light oil will fix the brake chatter.
Just a run the a-tip around the brake ring and also open all the brakes, put a drop of light oil at the base, then close what ever many brakes u like. This will help the brakes that are open to fully extent & retract the same way.
Hope this helps

Quote from: Henning on May 09, 2011, 11:19:26 PM
I had the same problem with my Curado 201e7.  Owner of the local tackle shop told me that the cetrifugal brake pins could rattle around and make a wizzing noise as well.  Anyone else ever hear that?

Yes, in low profiles and in the newer style Ambassadeur round reels with the 6 brake puck system.  Ive actually found that the pucks fly off the poorly made plastic shafts in these newer reels.