C/E Clip removal - who has the best technique?

Started by boon, June 06, 2016, 08:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boon

After spending a silly amount of time last night hunting for a low-flying C-clip I figured someone on here must have a better technique for removing them than I do.

Currently I just get 2 small flathead screwdrivers and push on each point of the C - this is really really tricky if the c-clip has a tapered point though, or is covered in grease, or is on something like a spool shaft that just spins if your pressure isn't 100% even. You know, like 90% of the ones you find in reels. Usually I try to push the clip just a tiny bit off the shaft then I get the tip of a screwdriver between the shaft and the "belly" of the C and lever it off but half the time it goes flying anyway.

So, what tools/technique do you guys go for?

foakes

Everything you are doing is good, boon --

Except, just do the same thing within a clear plastic bag...

This limits the speed and trajectory of the "C" clip to a few inches -- instead of Low Earth Orbit.

Got to listen to the old guys -- a wise old codger taught me this common sense technique.

A good, sharp pair of tweezers is also better than a couple of screwdrivers -- and more controllable.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

boon

That's a great tip, thanks!

The picture also gave me an idea... I might get an old pair of needle-nose pliers and try filing the ends almost flat - would give a little more control and "push" than tweezers, perhaps?

RowdyW

I use a tool that looks like an ice pick with the end bent 90 degrees. I hook it inside the back of the clip & put my finger on top of it & pull the clip loose. I got the pick set at HF for less then $4. It comes in a set of 4 different shapes. Great for removing "O" rings too.                 Rudy

Cortez_Conversions

Like Rudy, I use the hooked tool. When I'm not feeling confident, I put everything(hands too!) in a large clear plastic bag so the UFO won't go too far.
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

bigggfish

I use my credit card.....that is to say, I buy lots of extras from McMaster Carr.  Then I use a precision screwdriver and don't sweat it if I lose one to low flying Martians.

handi2

I don't push on the ends. It's better (like above) to catch the back side of the clip with a tiny screwdriver or hooked tool. It works on the smallest of clips and you have a free finger to catch the clip.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

bluefish69

Guys 

There is NO FUN in putting them in a plastic bag or using a small screw driver in the back of the "C" Clip. Just POP them out & let them fly. Now got on the floor with the Dog or Cat & enjoy yourself.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

foakes

All you guys are way too smart for me!

;D ;D ;D

Good tips, fellas.

I too never use a plastic bag -- but that is what I recommend when starting out on reel servicing -- plus not having a stock of parts on hand, makes a service frustrating when a little part is missing in action.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

swill88

Cor

What a strange world!   Here I am sitting at my computer at 03h33 in the morning cause I can't sleep, thinking about a @#!! tiny C clip that did precisely that yesterday. ;D ;D ;D

Trouble here is that it is very difficult to source a replacement, so bigggfish's technique won't work either! ???
Cornelis

bigggfish

PM me.  I'll send you some.  They are cheap and I have a supply of old stamps that my dad hoarded.

alantani

Quote from: bigggfish on June 06, 2016, 11:59:51 PM
I use my credit card.....that is to say, I buy lots of extras from McMaster Carr.  Then I use a precision screwdriver and don't sweat it if I lose one to low flying Martians.

yeah, this is what i did!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Three se7ens

I use a small screwdriver, slip in the space between the back side and the post, and twist the screwdriver to force the clip off the post.  And holding a finger on top of the c clip will keep it from flying most of the time. 

I typically have more trouble getting them on than off.  A good pair of needle nose pliers does a good job here though.  Just squeeze the back of the clip towards the post.

SoCalAngler

Like everyone else I use a small screwdriver to get them off. You may need a toothbrush to get off the old grease so you can see where to place the driver to pop off the clip.

Also like shown and stated above a pair of fine/small/thin needle nose pliers to put them back on may work better than tweezers.