snapped my third terez this week

Started by mrbrklyn, June 09, 2016, 12:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

I just went through my third Terez this week.  I snapped it lifting a very large Dog out of the water.  I was sure it would handle it.  It was a 30-65 pound Rod.  I just sent one of the same models, but white, back to them under the warranty.  I'm sort of bummed.  I've purchased 4 Terez over the last few years.  I love to fish them, but really, I have a thirty year old seeker.  I'm genuinely not that hard on rods.

Cor

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

I don't know the rod involved, but there is quite a bit of technique involved in lifting a fish.   I can't make out from the specks if it is a casting rod.

If you "high stick" any graphite rod (i.e. lift it above 45 degrees) it will break even with fairly moderate weight and usually in the tip area if it is a casting rod.

You can often make a satisfactory repair of the rod though.
Cornelis

mizmo67

The thing I've observed with ANY of the graphite rods over the years is that ONE nick along it becomes a weak point.
I've never bought one personally as a result..who wants to treat a fishing rod like it's glass?
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Cor

Quote from: mizmo67 on June 09, 2016, 05:55:58 PM
The thing I've observed with ANY of the graphite rods over the years is that ONE nick along it becomes a weak point.
I've never bought one personally as a result..who wants to treat a fishing rod like it's glass?
It's such a personal thing.   I sight fish for Yellowtail and graphite outcasts any other material hands down, is light and just great to play with.   Also I use a casting rod up to about 10ft 3 inch on a small boat and that is where you have a big problem.    You need to get the fish close to the gunnel to be able to stick a gaff in to it, or pick it up by the leader and the usual way to do that is to lift the rod with the tip pointing too high.     At that point any sudden pull by the fish can result in a break.   The shorter and the stronger the rod the less chance of a breakage.

Few years ago I decided to revert back to Fiberglass rods and rebuilt two old rods that were bomb proof, fairly short and very heavy in weight and too parabolic for decent casting from a boat and even though it solved the problem of breakages and I caught many fish on them, it just was not a great solution.    I think E Glass may not be a bad trade off though.

The other solution is a long light gaff that can reach the fish and you can use with one hand or to get the fish on top of the water and then quickly put the rod behind you hand over hand until you have only the line in you hand.   Not good with braid or very large fish.

YOu probably fish in a very different way. ;D

Sorry i've deviated a bit but what I am getting to is that it's a trade off, Gaphite makes a very nice versatile fishing rod, but is more fragile then Glass fibre and of course costs more.

Cornelis

mizmo67

We see too many snapped ones come back through the bait shop, is all.

Can't deny they have their use..but I wouldn't buy one, lol.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

David Hall

spc7669

I've come close to buying this rod several times but reports like these make me glad I didn't

FatTuna

If you keep breaking them, I would assume it's because the Terez is a high modulus blank. A high modulus blank gives you a lighter rod with a more responsive action. However, the trade off is that they are much more brittle. Also, much more expensive.

Check out this article. http://www.kistlerrods.com/fishing-rod/gary-loomis-talks-about-rod-breakage/subpage230.html

Newell Nut

I have done some very hard fishing with Seeker Hercules and built a bunch of them for others. They take a lot of abuse and just keep catching fish.

FatTuna

The only rods that I've ever seen break are high modulus blanks. Most were $400 + rods. 

Aiala

Luckily I've never had a rod snap in 60 years of fishing --although I did once kill one with a car door-- but if that ever happens, it'll be the last time I buy that brand, LOL   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

MarkT

Ok then, what kind of car would you get next?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

RowdyW

Aiala

Quote from: MarkT on July 21, 2016, 01:41:42 AM
Ok then, what kind of car would you get next?

Bada-bing! Good one, Mark...  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D