After trip, spray rinse or dunk 'em?

Started by sinkerswim, March 09, 2011, 05:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinkerswim

Personally, I own ambassadeurs, avet, and penn. I don't think any answer will be a one size fits all. Also, while wetting them down drag on or off? I have always used the light spray method, drag on and haven't experienced many problems. That is other than the anti reverse bearing failure of a penn 965 and 975. I do believe that is mostly due to design flaw.

Penn and Avet are disciples of the dunk method. Abu light spray. There are so many manufacturers out there. I guess the correct answer will have many variations. Light sprays, may not accomplish a full flush but it, should be sufficient. Right?

Well, have at it folks.

Thank You

alantani

full service first!  then rinse and wipe, maybe compressed air, use a rag with corrosion x last. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Sinkerswim:  I big game fish in Los Cabos.  Since all the hotels have restricters in their showers, when I come in from fishing I put the rods and reels in the shower.  The restricters control the force of the water so it does not drive the water into the reels.  I turn on the cold water and make sure I rinse both the total rod and reel.  I leave them in the shower until finish dripping.  I then wipe them down with a towel.  I carry a piece of an old tee shirt wet with corrosion-x in a zip lock bag give them a wipe and they are good to go the next day.  When I'm at home I rinse them off with a garden hose and follow the same routine as above. 
Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

sinkerswim

The reels that I have been using for cod and ling have been Tanied or Tani-ized. Still have to do my striper and fluke stuff. Never gave any of these the full treatment. That was until I stumbled onto this site a few months back. When Alan convinced me to go for it whole hog, rather then send them to him for service. Addictive stuff Alan. Kind of want to do one every day, like a daily crossword puzzle. Time just doesn't permit that.

Anyhow, none of the reels I own will hit the water before it gets the Tani once over.

That being said, yes Alan, full service then rinse. To you and Pescachaser thanks for the corrosion x tip. I believe I have picked up at least one valuable tip each time I visit this site. Ain't that grand.

The stuff I own may not be the top of the line. But, it was paid for with my money. And, I'd like to keep it around as long as possible. An ounce of prevention is absolutely worth a pound of cure.

Pescachaser, Many a rod and reel of mine has "hit the shower" due to the fact that here in NJ during the winter months there is no fresh water access when we return to the dock. So, first thing home into the shower with the day's gear.

Glad the master says rinse.

What about the drag? on or off?

Bryan Young

For lever drags, drag on when washing.  Drags off after drying to relieve springs.

For stars, mine is always set.  I never feel the need loosen it up.  So, once I set it, it stays "on."  Rechecked before each fishing trip though. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

I tighten down the drag, whether lever or star, then rinse. After drip drying for about 30 minutes or so I release the drag pressure until the next trip and wipe everything dry.  Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

whalebreath

QuoteI carry a piece of an old tee shirt wet with corrosion-x in a zip lock bag give them a wipe
Great idea-Thanks!

jdc946

I read another post here that stated oil will expand the bakelite side plates If that is true what do you recommend to bring the shine back to them.

Alto Mare

I do the same as Rob. After they drip dry, I wipe everything dry and use a little oil on the rag and lightly wipe the reel and rod.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Dominick. do we have to hear about your shower rituals? That's actually a great tip, thanks cumba` ;D ;D ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ReelSpeed

Hopefully in the near future, it will involve using my upcoming line of NoCo products..  ;D More to come later...  ;D ;D
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: jdc946 on March 25, 2011, 06:11:46 PM
I read another post here that stated oil will expand the bakelite side plates If that is true what do you recommend to bring the shine back to them.

A very, very light film of oil like CorrosionX or one of the tsi products wiped on then the excess wiped off after a few minutes shouldn't cause problems. Maybe "akfish" can expand on this based on what he's seen a lot of. I like to use a carnauba wax or Gel Gloss on my sideplates to bring out shine and protection.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

mokomoa

We wash ours with warm soapy water then drip dry with drags on.(Is this Correct?)
Then once dry release drag.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 25, 2011, 07:12:16 PM
Dominick. do we have to hear about your shower rituals? That's actually a great tip, thanks cumba` ;D ;D ;D

Hey Sal!  if you only knew me back in the day.  You think Broadway does alright?  The old neighborhood used to be something else :'(.  We'll keep it clean ;D.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Dominick, you I beleive but not so sure about broadway being a gigolo. Like we say on my field, an empty dump truck makes a lot of noice driving down the street. ;D ;D ;D