2016 Southeast Alaska Fishing Trip

Started by Steve-O, June 09, 2016, 01:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Steve, you never disappoint us... great trip! Thanks for sharing it with us.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Great Work Steve-O!
Looks like a great time.
Thanks for taking us along.
Life is Good!

Steve-O

Quote from: swill88 on June 16, 2016, 10:25:52 PM
WOW!

great report and pics Steve....Thanks!

did the mooching yield bigger salmon?

steve

There were two groups of 6 at the lodge that week. Only one angler caught a salmon that weighed in the high 20s. Not sure if he caught it mooching or not. All the smaller shakers were caught on the troll. Most fish were "cookie cutters"  right around 17 #s.  We caught one chicken halibut mooching and a lingcod and black bass rockfish on the troll.

Trolling depths were averaging 60 feet. We marked fish, the captain called it and one or the other down rigger rods popped out of the clip. Fish on!

Steve-O

...and then....this guy showed up! :o

LLCC

Quote from: Steve-O on June 17, 2016, 01:20:59 PM
...and then....this guy showed up! :o

That's the coolest fishing garb Steve-san! The same's currently taking our shores and Malaysia's by storm too! Only here, the guys sport a fancy coloured wig like pink or platinum blond. I'm seriously looking at getting me a platinum blond wig to join in with the fishing fashion too.  ;D

Oh and did you discard the fins and tail of those rockfish? I've tried baking them, and they make nice Hirezake too.

Cheers,

LL
Lawrence Lee

Steve-O

Hello Lawrence-san!

Thanks for the reply.

The guys and gals at the lodge loved the wig and large "bug-eye"  sunglasses. Out on the ocean one day the fishing bite for King salmon had slowed WAY down so out came the get up and the spirits were lifted as the mojo started working.

I popped out of the boat cabin and yelled " Wooooooo!" really loud when we pulled up at the dock and the lodge owners and fish processors had a big laugh saying it made their day.

The fish cleaners take over as soon as we dock and send us up to the lodge for a meal so I did not get a chance to save any rock fish parts other than the fillets.

I did however get salmon bellies for smoking and kama ( the collars ) to take home and BBQ. Nobody else was saving the collars.

Hope to go back in September for river and shore based fishing and will definitely be going after rockfish again after the Salmon are caught.

Here is China Rockfish ( limit of 1 - released ) I caught while jigging for the larger Black Rockfish ( limit of 5 per day). You can see my jigging set up below the fish. An Omoto Talos reel with Daiwa metered braid and a Japanese jigging rod.

And the front of my Ray Troll Tee shirt - Death is Certain, Fishing is Not.

Dominick

Steve, your report and photos are rife with the fun and excitement I'm sure you felt because it comes through in the report.  Thanks for bringing us along.  Wear the wig more often it's an improvement.   ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

All you need is the goatee and you are a ringer for Nikki Sixx. ;D
Life is Good!

Steve-O

Thanks, Daron and Dominick!

More wig action? Check!

Chronograph watch like Nikki Syxx? Check!

Goatee? Takes a couple weeks

Ink like Nikki? Uhhhh....will need to get out the Sharpie markers and work on that.

Here's one of the big halibut coming alongside for a release.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

LLCC

Quote from: Steve-O on July 20, 2016, 04:23:40 PM
Hello Lawrence-san!

Thanks for the reply.

The guys and gals at the lodge loved the wig and large "bug-eye"  sunglasses. Out on the ocean one day the fishing bite for King salmon had slowed WAY down so out came the get up and the spirits were lifted as the mojo started working.

I popped out of the boat cabin and yelled " Wooooooo!" really loud when we pulled up at the dock and the lodge owners and fish processors had a big laugh saying it made their day.

The fish cleaners take over as soon as we dock and send us up to the lodge for a meal so I did not get a chance to save any rock fish parts other than the fillets.

I did however get salmon bellies for smoking and kama ( the collars ) to take home and BBQ. Nobody else was saving the collars.

Hope to go back in September for river and shore based fishing and will definitely be going after rockfish again after the Salmon are caught.

Here is China Rockfish ( limit of 1 - released ) I caught while jigging for the larger Black Rockfish ( limit of 5 per day). You can see my jigging set up below the fish. An Omoto Talos reel with Daiwa metered braid and a Japanese jigging rod.

And the front of my Ray Troll Tee shirt - Death is Certain, Fishing is Not.

The collars are the best part. Why do they discard them?

Rockfish over your side are humongous! Ours grow to as big as a palm only. But every part other than gills and scales are used. Next time you get rockfish, keep and dry the two pectoral and tail fins. Then bake or BBQ till its smoky and crisp and soak in cheap hot sake for ten minutes. The transformation us so great that you'll never buy expensive sake again except to Honour the Brewer.

Give me a call when you next plan to come to Singapore. We can meet and chat more.
Lawrence Lee