30# class reel reccomendations?

Started by sinkerswim, March 09, 2011, 04:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinkerswim

Hi folks,

After some research, here and there, it appears that progear, avet and newell have models, reasonably priced and owner (maintenance) friendly.

Have Avet, MXL, SX. They suffice and are very good lever drag. Looking for a star drag for 30# mono bottom fishing. Sorry guys, I'm too old school, and can't get used to braid. Additionally, I do a lot of party, boat fishing. Most times it is in pretty close quarters. Plus, I handle the line far too much and manage to catch a whole lot of the wreck rather than the fish. Which does necessitate the line handling. Got some nasty cuts. Therefore, I still fish mono. Part of a dying breed. There may come a time when mono goes the way of the 8 track tape. Until then, stubborn as it may seem, I'm a mono guy.

Have seen and heard nothing but great things about the progear line of reels. Problem is, as we know, they are out of business. However, there are some still showing up. Some new in box and some used. They appear reasonably priced. Problem is they have so many models, that makes it difficult to get a handle on things. Will it be difficult to get parts, should the need arise? To their credit, they were USA made and I like that.

So, I'm asking for progear ideas. If they don't fit the bill, I wouldn't rule out the Newell 229. Quite a few guys use them, and they love them. Boy those Newell guys are a dyed in the wool group. There must be a reason for that.

Thank You

alantani

oooo, oooo, i know!!!!   for straight 30# mono, find a penn jigmaster 501!!!!   virtually indestructable!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

The Avet SX, MXJ and MXL all have the same drags and depending on the drag pressure you are looking to use 30lb test is at the very top of their range. I'm talking the non Raptor Avet reels. Anouther reel you may want to look at is the newer Dawia Saltist star line. I would think the 35 would be a good jigging reel.

Norcal Pescador

Good one, Alan. The 501's a keeper! I'm lovin' my Jigmaster 500 with Newell 5:1 gears (and straight mono) for bottom fishing, but I wouldn't turn down a Newell 332-5 either. Anybody have one to give away? ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

Pro Gear 30# mono class, I would select PG251.  It holds 350 yards of 20# mono.  Not sure how much 30# mono it will hold.  You can do the calculation, I hope.

Another option depending on depth of fishing is PG255.  It's a narrow version of PG251.  It holds 270 yards of 20 # mono.

Except for the frame, side plate and spool, the guts are essentially a Penn 505HS and parts are indeed interchangeable with Penn's 500.

Penn 501 is an excellent option.  Narrow spool Penn 500.  Holds 500 yards of 12# mono.  Again, you can do the math.

Internal parts are not a problem with either reel.

An additional note, I love my Pro Gear reels.  It gives me the option to go with mono or spectra without any concerns.  Penns, the tolerances are not as tight between the spool and side plates.  Should the day that mono is no longer available, you just have to be a little more careful not to get the spectra caught between the spool and sideplates.  Not saying it cannot be done, but you just need to be aware of the concerns if you decide to move towards using spectra, and adapt your fishing technique accordingly.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I'm also a straight mono guy,  I'm going to recommend the 113H Penn Senator, you won't find a better reel for the money.   ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keith K

basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

john2244

I own a lot of Progear reels but for bottom fishing I use Penn 506 reels.
I do fill them with 50# spectra and then a short topshot of 30# mono.
I am sure all mono would work well too.
John

floating doc

How do you keep the spectra out of the sideplate of the 506? I have one I bought to fish 20 mono, and the line goes right into the sideplate if I fluff a cast.  >:(

I can't imagine that 50 lb spectra is thicker than 20 lb ande.
Central Florida

macka17

Quote from: floating doc on June 09, 2012, 02:57:20 AM
How do you keep the spectra out of the sideplate of the 506? I have one I bought to fish 20 mono, and the line goes right into the sideplate if I fluff a cast.  >:(

I can't imagine that 50 lb spectra is thicker than 20 lb ande.

Hi.
With my older reels. In the  ólder"days..
Bigger reel, skinnier line.  NOT USED FOR CASTING.....

I used to run a bead of Sikaflex\Silicon.
Round the rims of the spools. It used to deflect the line from slipping over the rim
into the reel.
Never tried to cast with them though. Just bottom fishing..

macka

onemako

I use my penn 113's (not the newer series) and penn 555's for casting and trolling. The 113's are easy for me to cast and easy to care for. I dont bottom fish much so can't comment on that aspect.

LI Guy

For bottom fishing on a party boat it's hard to beat a 332 Newell with 3.6:1 gears. My next choice would be a Penn 146. That is if you're using mono.

Keta

What is the maximum depth you are going to use this reel for?
Modern or "vintage" reel?

My bottom mid/deep water fishing star drag reels are Penn 113H and 349H reels but the 60 makes a nice mid to shallow depth bottom fishing reel.  I want to try a 100 (loaded with Spectra) for inshore bottom fishing.

I grew up using Dacron, Spectra was an easy conversion for me.  For deep water fishing the low stretch is a big plus.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Doug

I agree with Alan the 501  is a small tank. I fish and live on the Jersy Coast and do most of my fishing from party boats take a look at what is used for their rental equipment. Almost all penn jigmasters used by people that beat the living hell out of them. My little 501 covers almost 90% of my requirements
Doug