Penn 6/0 wide

Started by sharkman, June 15, 2016, 12:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

I'm going on long range trip which does some trolling. I've never trolled and need some advice. They recommend 6/0 size if two speed and bigger if single speed. Line recommendations 60-80. I don't have a two speed reel but have a 6/0 wide and 9/0. Would one of these fit the bill for trolling for black fin tuna. Does anybody have drawing or diagram on how to rig for trolling including the planner. Thanks. Don't know if makes a difference but is in gulf off of Florida and the boat will not stop it will slow down for large fish.

sharkman

So I did get some clarification on the reel set up and rig for the trip. One of the charter representatives stated 9/0 should work for most things they catch trolling, but one of the regulars on the trip stated it doesn't have enough drag.  Basically he states would not be able to reel the fish in on the move.  The 9/0 I have already has Brian's drag upgrade. The 6/0 wide is bone stock.  Surely a single speed should be able to pull in the fish.  I have seen many old pics of people catching large marlin and sailfish on penn senators.  However I think the boat was stopped.  Any ideas?  They don't run planners they have had more luck with rapala x raps.

Aiala

I use my 9/0 (with Dom/Tom frame) for all my long-range trolling (filled with 80-lb Ande.) It performs perfectly, has never let me down and once even caught a 125-lb YFT on the kite.  ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

thorhammer

blackfin don't get real big, 9/0 with that stack should do it.

Bryan Young

you will have more than enough drag with a 7-stack in the 9/0. 

reeling in on the move is another story.  That is where a single speed shines, but it can be accomplished with a 9/0 with a power handle arm giving you more leverage.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

otownjoe

I do this type of trolling on Hubbard's marina overnight trips. A 9/0 with a aftermarket drag will work but a two speed sure is nice especially when you are reeling your plug back in without out a fish on .most of the time its easier to reel in a small fish than a planer or plug..make sure you bring a good glove to help pull the line if you get something really big.I also prefer 60# to80# when trolling. The lighter line gets your lure down deeper.good luck Joe

handi2

Here in the Gulf Blackfin are regularly caught with spinning reels. You won't have a problem even with a 4/0 reel.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

sharkman

Thanks everyone. Joe I have been on hubbards 39 hr trip it's one of the best trips I've been on.

otownjoe

Sharkman, my standard high speed party boat trolling rig in the gulf is a #1planer with a 3 1/2 inch lime green spoon. I use 60# momoi main line tied directly to the planer. I use 25 ft of 80# mono leader between the spoon and the planer.  I attach the leader to the planer with a oversized ball bearing snap swivel. This is what I have found to be most effective on the way out to the fishing grounds. You can catch Spanish  and king mackerel and Bonita on this rig. Once you get into deeper water the x rap and diving plugs will be more effective for tuna and wahoo. The plugs seem to be the ticket  the next day when you're traveling from spot to spot,particularly in the morning. Good luck on your trip. Joe

thorhammer

we put a 6" piece of 150lb wire on back of planer between two SS ballbearing swivels with haywires.. drastically reduces line twist on the spoons.

sharkman

Thanks thorhammer and otownjoe for the advice.  Your reply came just in time. I was heading to West Marine to pick up supplies for trip. Joe the Hubbard's 39hr trip is the one I am getting ready for.