Reel storage

Started by dustin.brace, March 10, 2011, 06:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustin.brace

Ok, here's my question. Should reels be removed from pole while not in use? I have no problem doing this but I have been trying to figure out a way to put a snap ball-bearing swivel at the end of my line to make it so that I have just attach leaders. If the reels must be taken off this will not work obviously. If they need to be removed, can you offer any suggestions? Thanks for the help.
" height="90" width="160

Norcal Pescador

Even with your nine month season, I'd leave the reels on. Maybe once or twice during the season I would dismount the reel and check for corrosion or salt where the stand and clamp meet the seat. Give the seat and stand a wipe down with a damp towel. Put a very light coat of that blue stuff on the stand and inside the clamp and button it back up. You wouldn't even have to remove the snap swivel, but before each day on the water you should cut off the last 5 feet of line so you don't fish with abraded line. Cheap insurance to keep from losing a fish and your not-so-cheap hardware. besides you get good at tying knots. ;)

Of course, you're going to take the reel off once a year and service it anyway, right? ;D

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Dustin, the reel does not need to be removed for storage, just remove a couple of feet of line, like Rob mentioned and get yourself some velcro tape to hold the line neatly on the spool. Removing the swivel it's not a big deal, you should be able to put it back easly. This answer is only related to your question, depending on your fishing style, there are other steps you should take, but that's another topic. Take care, Sal  :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.