A Gear Question

Started by mo65, June 16, 2016, 10:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I searched around a good bit but didn't see my question in the archives so here we are. Is this gear grooved to bad to use? Now keep in mind...the pic is a bit deceiving...those grooves are so shallow I can barely feel them. I just don't want drag power to suffer.

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

You didn't say what that goes to, but if it were me I'd polish with emery cloth or 1000 grit, grease drags and keep on getting it....

mo65

Its an old Jigmaster #5-500, I want to use it in my 210. Here's a pic of it before I polished it with 1500 grit. It must be hard stuff...it took a while to even get that far.

Alto Mare

The gear you're showing on the pic above appears to be different than the one below. The one below is Moly coated, a very durable finish.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 16, 2016, 11:54:27 PM
The gear you're showing on the pic above appears to be different than the one below. The one below is Moly coated, a very durable finish.

Sal

Hmm...it's not durable enough then...'cause I polished it right off that gear! :o And Yes, that's absolutely the same gear. If you look close at the second pic...you'll see a few little "bumps" on the inside of the gear. What the pic doesn't show is how rough it really was. It appeared to be like carbon glazing, so I went to work on it. Never even saw the grooves till I got through the black.

Alto Mare

That's why it gave you a hard time.
You will be fine with those, just grease them up nicely. On your next one, try to leave the gray on, it's good to have it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 17, 2016, 12:32:38 AM
You will be fine with those, just grease them up nicely. On your next one, try to leave the gray on, it's good to have it.

Hee hee...OK...thanks Sal.

foakes

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 17, 2016, 12:32:38 AM

Sal's right -- that gear is fine, so long as it is liberally greased with Cal's drag grease.

If you put a little too much grease in the stack -- particularly the bottom CF -- it will just be squeezed out as the drag is adjusted -- until it self adjusts to just the right amount of grease.

Those gears are nearly indestructible.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarkT

I'd get rid of those old drag washers and go with carbon fiber like Penn HT-100 or Smooth drag Carbontex.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

mo65

Quote from: MarkT on June 17, 2016, 12:59:55 AM
I'd get rid of those old drag washers and go with carbon fiber like Penn HT-100 or Smooth drag Carbontex.

That old drag washer was in the pic just to maybe help someone determine why the gear was grooved. I noticed a few pits in it...like sand dents...prolly the source of the grooves. This gear is getting one of Bryan's 5+1 sets.

thorhammer

nice! I love 210's and that one will be killer with steel gear and 5+1.