Penn 113 Advice and Recommendations

Started by spc7669, June 23, 2016, 07:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

been there, done that with eccentric. I swear that's the nicest 113 I've seen.

spc7669

Bryan-for you to call it nice work calls for a celebratory beer. I've learned so much reading what you and Alan write, I woulda been tickled if you just said it was passable.

Mike-I will definitely PM Keta. I've been using BPH and their service is great. Basil taught me to do a served connection over the phone. Shipping is rough though.

Daron-I did put blue Loc Tite on the two screws in the actual handle, but not on the two screws that hold the handle on the reel. Do I need it there as well? Easy day since the handle has gotta come off when Adam's star gets here.

Thor-Not only are you an epic comic book character, but you totally made my day with your comment! This reel really tried my patience with all the corrosion issues. You guys are too kind.

thorhammer

Wasn't kidding. You badarsed that 4/0

mizmo67

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Shark Hunter

Like This.
Life is Good!

spc7669

Got those spots. The instructions from Smoothdrag said to do exactly that. I don't know if Dawn reads much here, but that handle sure got a lot of compliments. Even the wife liked it.

handi2

Quote from: spc7669 on June 30, 2016, 09:55:35 PM
Got those spots. The instructions from Smoothdrag said to do exactly that. I don't know if Dawn reads much here, but that handle sure got a lot of compliments. Even the wife liked it.

I sell and install many of those handles. I have to use Red Loctite. When I used blue they came loose. Red on the handle screw only. Grease on the set screw inside the handle.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

spc7669

Duly noted. I sent a message to Evan and let him know to switch to red if that screw works loose. I used blue on the set screw as well.

handi2

The reason I use grease on the set screw is in case the handle needs to come off.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

spc7669

I would still like to find a stainless main gear and pinion for this reel if anyone knows a possible source.

Also, has a tutorial been done for double dogging this model? I wasn't able to find one using the search function.

Thanks to everyone here for making this build a success.

RowdyW

No stainless main gears but hardened steel gears are available. I think Sal (Alto Mare) did a write up on double dogging & regearing the 113 from 2.0 to a 2.6 ratio. I did a gearing up of 2.0 to 2.4. previous to that.     Rudy

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 01, 2016, 04:47:31 PM
Search for grouper special.
Quote from: RowdyW on July 01, 2016, 04:21:31 PM
No stainless main gears but hardened steel gears are available. I think Sal (Alto Mare) did a write up on double dogging & regearing the 113 from 2.0 to a 2.6 ratio. I did a gearing up of 2.0 to 2.4. previous to that.     Rudy
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9979.msg93421#msg93421
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

There are a couple different ways to speed the reel up. That thing is real pretty. I'd run the steel gear with one of Bryan's big drag kits and it'b be a monster.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

spc7669

I'm not so much looking for a speed up as a beef up. I love small reels that are giant killers. But I'll probably change to the 113 gear and jigmaster pinion because it's stronger. Sal's Grouper Special is a beautiful thing. I see some PM's in his future guiding me through the upgrades.