Penn 113 Advice and Recommendations

Started by spc7669, June 23, 2016, 07:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spc7669

Good afternoon,

I am very new here and don't want to make a faux pas by appearing not to have searched other posts, but here goes.....

I'm doing an upgrade job on a Penn 113 4/0 with black side plates for my fishing buddy. Money is really no object as this is his only "big" reel. He uses in saltwater for pretty much everything from bottom fishing to beach sharking and says he'll never sell it. I was given carte blache to mod to my little heart's content.

I've got a Tiburon frame coming. I ordered the 5 stack drag and new metal washers from Dawn along with a stainless gear sleeve and t bar handle and blank. Mo at Scott's is sending me a black aluminum spool.

My thoughts for finishing out the build are to try and locate any other stainless guts available like a bridge, yoke, eccentric, etc. I would also like to have the rings powder coated blue if anyone can recommend someone who does this. If adding a second dog wouldn't be too complicated, I'd try that too.

If anyone has any recommendations for other stuff, I would love to hear them. I understand the black 113 is not considered all that desirable, but it gave me a good project to learn about Penns. This is my first Penn build and I'm loving it so far.

Bill B

SPC....you are right on track with the first set of mods, the second set would be ginger bread, you might want to add an extended handle to the T-Bar and stainless dogs, Lee Keta should be able to help with that....not sure if stainless bridges are available, but someone will chime in later on that...as for double dogging, check out some of the other threads on this and have at it...I have no direction on powder coating, but that would be an expensive option...we would like to see some pictures of your build when available....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

spc7669

The extended handle is on its way from Dawn.

I've seen some of the double dogging threads, especially Shark Hunter's. The thought of dremeling the sideplate makes me reach for a Maalox bottle.

The powder coating is pure gravy, but this is one of my closest fishing buddies and I want this reel to be something he can be proud of for a very long time.

I've gotta figure out the whole picture posting thing. The first attempt failed.

Bill B

send him a PM and Im sure he can walk you through it...good luck brother.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

RowdyW

How about a new drag star wheel from Three Se7ens on this site? The photo does not look like a 113. It looks more like a larger Senator with the double cross bars & triple harness lugs? 14/0 or larger? Wrong photo?

spc7669

That is my buddy's new 14/0 I tried to post in the Welcome forum. I'll be tearing into it after the 113.

Shark Hunter

Double dog that 14! I have stainless dogs and springs for it.
Add an ss sleeve and an Insert and it will be a whole lot of reel!
Life is Good!

spc7669

I posted in Adam's forums about the stars. Done deal if he has one to fit.

I will advise my buddy of the parts you have SH. I know he wanted me to lube it and put carbon Tex washers in it first. Hope he goes all in and lets me go nuts with it.

Shark Hunter

An Insert kit and stainless sleeve with double dogs will run about $120 for the parts.
I opted for a new stainless main and pinion on this build.

Life is Good!

Rancanfish

Wow Daron,  you put a lot of meat down there on that table.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

spc7669

Those parts are gorgeous! Looking forward to working on one of those big boys

spc7669

This may take me a minute and a few posts to cover, but I hit some snags and need some input.

All of the parts have arrived and I went to do the final assembly....

A light coat of grease on the left side of the spool, then i started to clean the bridge, replace the gear sleeve with the new stainless on from Mo, and install the new 5 washer stack from Dawn.

The bridge, gear, and sleeve were just nasty. It was covered in a reddish rusty grease. Someone had actually already done a 5 stack conversion, but the corrosion was bad enough that the first 3 washers were so stuck in the gear I had to use a punch to get them out, even after an hour soak in Simple Green.

Shark Hunter

Is there still a washer in the gear? Or is it that Nasty?
Looks like some salt water got in there and went to town.
Clean up that gear with a wire wheel on a Dremel Tool.
If you don't have a Dremel, Some fine sandpaper or emery cloth.
Based on the rust on your fingers, You need to clean that up and put the new stack in with some Cal's drag grease.
Keep us posted.
Life is Good!

spc7669

I also noticed a tick in the sleeve before I took it off to replace it. The post on the bridge has two nicks I the slot where the pin goes. I hit them with a file and it's better, but not perfect.

The main gear is still soaking in Simple Green. I have noted some pitting inside the gear.

Should I just go ahead and order a new bridge and gear?  I haven't been able to source stainless ones yet, but it appears Scott's has both in stock. I'm already way into this build. Another 25 bucks is not the end of the world.

spc7669