avet mxl mc cast drag setup.

Started by forest101, March 12, 2011, 05:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

forest101

Just purchase my first Avet reel (mxl mc) and havinf troubles tuning the drag.There is plenty of drag avaliable for my purpose on STRIKE and FULL but on FREE the spool actually has a little tension (only 2 seconds of free spool)and when on BAIT there is no/less tension (6 seconds of fee spool) its like FREE and BAIT are #### about face (back the front).(drag set up at about 6lb on strike)
I havnt casted it as yet and not sure if i should use BAIT or FREE to cast it.
If i do adjust the drag tention up to full (around 9lb) it dose work correctly.FREE dose free spool and BAIT dose have tension but i dont need to run the reel at its max its to much drag for what i need .
Dose anyone know away around this problem ,any mods i can do?
cheers

kamuwela

i may be misunderstanding you but here goes try setting drag to its max so the free works properly. after casting set the lever drag at a pre determined location on your reel equal to the drag you are looking for( use a scale ) on my reels that have been hot rodded i set the lever at a point below srtike. you can always adjust lever to a higher point as needed.

alantani

check with avet.  the issue most likely is due to the cam.  there is a remote possibility that the cam was ground incorrectly.  take it fishing first and see if it is a issue on the water.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!