Main Menu

Lasagna

Started by ChileRelleno, August 13, 2016, 04:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Tonight I started my Bolognese sauce for a homemade Lasagna.
I'll let it sit overnight in the fridge for the flavors to meld, and tomorrow make my ricotta/egg mix with garden fresh herbs.
Then a careful layering of fantastic awesomeness and into the oven.

2# ground Italian sausage
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
.5 cup chopped celery
1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic
salt and red pepper

Brown the meat well, add veggies and spices simmer for 15 minutes

*I cheated a bit on my sauce with a 24oz jar of 'Classico Tomato & Basil'
.5 cup pureed sun dried tomato
1 6oz can of tomato paste
1 heaping teaspoon of sugar
1 cup water
Basil, fennel seed, oregano, thyme, Italian Seasoning mix

Puree sun dried tomatoes with half the Classico, add this and the rest of the ingredients (minus spices) to the meat in a large stock pot.
Simmer slowly for about an hour, then add spices and taste, add spices to taste.  Finish simmering for about 15-30 minutes.
Cool and refrigerate over night to let the flavors meld.

I'll add the rest of the recipe and pics tomorrow.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

STRIPER LOU

Chile, I actually think I could live on Bolognese. My recipe is somewhat similar but I like to use fire roasted tomatoes. I crave it all the time and always have some in the freezer for emergencies!

When its made right you could put it on an old shoe and it would taste good! ;D  ;D
...............Lou

Reel 224

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on August 13, 2016, 01:04:54 PM
Chile, I actually think I could live on Bolognese. My recipe is somewhat similar but I like to use fire roasted tomatoes. I crave it all the time and always have some in the freezer for emergencies!

When its made right you could put it on an old shoe and it would taste good! ;D  ;D
...............Lou

I second that my friend! ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

ChileRelleno

Ricotta/Egg Mix
16oz Ricotta
2 lrg Eggs
1 tsp dried parsely
1 tbsp fresh chopped Oregano
1/2 cup fresh chopped Basil
1 tsp each salt and black pepper

Beat eggs, and then fold all ingredients together, chill till ready.

Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Alto Mare

Looking good John.
You know, I only heard of ricotta lasagna when I came to the US.  Mine is made with fresh tomatoes, meat balls, in the shape as almonds, fresh basket cheese, fresh mozzarella, parmigiano reggiano and sliced hard boiled eggs... no ricotta.
My wife makes hers similar to the one you're showing, but I prefer the other for myself.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Hey Sal the fresh basket cheese is ricotta.  Good going Chile.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Not quite! Any cheese starts fresh as basket cheese and cured, the word ricotta means re-cooked.
Ricotta is the leftover when making cheese.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ChileRelleno

Parmesan Crusted Zucchini
Olive oil on foil, salt the foil and lay down the Zucchini.
Olive oil on the Zucchini, then Garlic Pepper, dust well with Panko crumbs and finally top with Parmesan.
Broil on high till cheese toast and turns a yummy golden brown.

Lasagna
Start with a layer of Bolognese, then noodles, then Ricotta mixture, some mozzarella cheese...  Repeat layers, finish with noodles topped with Bolognese and Mozzarella & Parmesan.

Cover tightly with well greased aluminum foil.
Bake at 375' for one hour, then uncover, and finish for half an hour at 425'.
I usually hit with the broiler on high the last few minutes to get a good color on the cheese.
Remove and let sit for 20-30 minutes, makes it easier to cut and portion.

Money Shot
Ragnar Benson:

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 13, 2016, 07:11:30 PM
Looking good John.
You know, I only heard of ricotta lasagna when I came to the US.  Mine is made with fresh tomatoes, meat balls, in the shape as almonds, fresh basket cheese, fresh mozzarella, parmigiano reggiano and sliced hard boiled eggs... no ricotta.
My wife makes hers similar to the one you're showing, but I prefer the other for myself.
The Parmigiano Reggiano is for sure the traditional cheese, but is often hard to find and/or expensive for the good stuff.
I'm appalled when people resort to Cottage cheese.
Ragnar Benson:

mo65

Damn...When I saw that "money shot" I thought my tongue was gonna beat my brains out! ;D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

STRIPER LOU

I take it the Pistola's are for anyone who dares to take the plate?
Now I'm hungry!  :P

ChileRelleno

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on August 13, 2016, 09:03:07 PM
I take it the Pistola's are for anyone who dares to take the plate?
Now I'm hungry!  :P
Naw, they're just there for my posts in certain gun forum's recipe threads.

For my encore, I've a venison roast thawing for tomorrow.
Ragnar Benson:

Rancanfish

That looks awesome.

But I have never had a better Lasagna than my long ago girlfriend made.  I even talked her into making me a pan-full once, a year after we broke up.

And she's beautiful to this day....I ran into her in the parking lot of a Safeway once a few years back.  First thing I asked is if she still does the lasagna, lol.  Now you know why I couldn't hang on to her.   ;D

We are talking lasagna right?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

ChileRelleno

I think maybe next weekend is going to be either Veal or Shrimp stuffed Manicotti.
Ragnar Benson: