Shimano Calcutta 300TE clicking/ticking sound when casting.

Started by Drisse, June 30, 2016, 06:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drisse

I got an Shimano Calcutta 300TE that has a clicking/ticking sound when casting. Other than that the reel runs very goood. It spins nice and smooth and no noise when you engage and craanks. This sound only comes during the cast ? Took the reel apart and cleaned it and lubed/greased the parts. But still this clicking/ticking noise ? The bearings seems to be good, so my guess is that its something with the levelwind.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance !

mikeysm

The pawl might be worn out. They are cheap and can be replaced easily.

Mike

Cor

Hehehe, I have the same thing with one of my Shimano Tranx's that I am still trying to locate.   Mine does it only when I turn the rod on its side while casting, with the side containing the gears facing up.

My thinking has been that it may be the pinion that drops down very slightly, just enough to touch the spool pin sometimes.   These reels have a similar system.

It does not sound serious to me so will investigate sometime when in the mood. :-\
Cornelis

Zimbass

It could be the level wind pawl. Try taking the pawl out, and then depress the clutch bar, and spin the spool with your finger. If the sound has gone, then replace the pawl. If not, it could be that the spool is loose. How tight do you have the cast control cap tightened ? It should not allow the spool to move from side to side.

Annoying when this happens, as they are superb reels.

Good luck.

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Drisse

Cor, thisone does it all the time. But your idea about the pinion sounds like an idea. Hope you can locate the problem. I like to repair/service my reels, but sometimes it can be very frustrating ;)

I will check the levelwind pawl. The spool is adjusted right. Yes, its very annoying, like the most annoying sound in the world for a fishermans soul :)

Cor

Quote from: Zimbass on July 01, 2016, 10:42:10 AM
It could be the level wind pawl. Try taking the pawl out, and then depress the clutch bar, and spin the spool with your finger. If the sound has gone, then replace the pawl. If not, it could be that the spool is loose. How tight do you have the cast control cap tightened ? It should not allow the spool to move from side to side.

Annoying when this happens, as they are superb reels.

Good luck.

Terry.
I can't get the reel to make that sound other then in a full cast.   Did remove all play from the spool as well while fishing but that made no difference.    It makes the ticking sound at a rate of 2 per second at a guess.   I also removed the centrifugal cast control, so nothing to look at there either.

When I find it Ill post the detail.    This time of the year I don't really use that reel much so will only be sometime after October.
Cornelis

Drisse

Same here. Only get the sound in a full cast. No noise if I spinn the spool with my finger.

Just removed the levelwind pawl and made a cast, but still the ticking noise.

oc1

I have no idea, but the frequency of the ticking might be a clue.  Is there one tick per spool revolution (probably not or it would be a buzz instead of a tick)?  Is there one tick per idle gear revolution (equals about one tick for every two spool revolutions)?  One tick per levelwind pass?

Does the synchronized levelwind stay synchronized, or is the line somewhat offset from the levelwind guide at the end of the cast?

Check for a sticking click pawl and click pawl spring or something screwed up with the click switch.

Try putting you ear to the reel during the cast to hear if it is coming from the left or right side.

-steve

hurt locker

Friend of mine had me look at a 500 Tekota that did something similar and it ended up being a bad tooth in the level wind cog gear. Also saw the same thing in a Daiwa SG 27 LC ----One single bad tooth, Just mangled not a missing tooth. Hope you find your problem.

Drisse

I tried the reel without the big idle gear and its silent. Changed both the big and the small idle gear to new parts even if the original parts looks good, but still noise. So then it has to be something with the worm shaft or spool gear, even if the parts looks good ?

Lunker Larry

You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Cor

Quote from: Lunker Larry on July 07, 2016, 12:21:45 PM
Could it be a bad casting/spool brake?
In my case I have removed the centrifugal cast control, so not that.

Quote from: Drisse on July 07, 2016, 06:22:39 AM
I tried the reel without the big idle gear and its silent. Changed both the big and the small idle gear to new parts even if the original parts looks good, but still noise. So then it has to be something with the worm shaft or spool gear, even if the parts looks good ?
I have that sound with a Tranx, it has a disengaging levelwind that does not move when casting.

Drisse, hope you find what is causing it.....will save me some searching ;D ;D
Cornelis

Drisse

Same in my case. Have not removed it, but opened the sideplate and checked the casting brake while I'm casting. Seems ok.

Cor

OK here's the thing in my case.     I had an extra spacer under the left hand side spool bearing which I placed there myself to solve another small problem.   It solved that problem, but created another one that I only discovered much later.

Although I still do not know precisely what was causing the "ticking" the spool was moved 4mm more to the right hand side, (towards the gears and pinion) so that does indicate that perhaps it was the pinion that was actually making the sound.

Check it out in that area!
Cornelis

Rancanfish

Thanks for posting the follow up!  My pet peeve is dead end threads.  8)
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.