AVET MX knob replacement help?

Started by Blurryfish, July 02, 2016, 06:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blurryfish

I'm trying to replace only the factory rubber knob on MX. Is their an alternate way of replacing other than drilling out the knob arm itself. I removed the rubber knob itself and have only the bar still attached. Cleaned and lubed all hardware but cannot install knob without drilling out and removing arm?
Appreciate and suggestions.

alantani

i'm not aware of a direct replacement.  i always have to drill.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

There are some out their in Internet land. I remember seeing one but don't remember where.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: alantani on July 02, 2016, 07:43:22 PM

Speaking of....   Is there a tutorial on that?
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

bmullaney

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on July 10, 2016, 07:05:24 PM
Quote from: alantani on July 02, 2016, 07:43:22 PM

Speaking of....   Is there a tutorial on that?

that would be great I want to drill out a handle on a few avets and I am weary of messing them up

alantani

i grind the rivet as flat as possible, then go in with a small drill bit and work my way up.  the problem i have is that they always walk.  never have found a good way to do this.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mike1010

I find that cutting an 'X' into the rivet head with a Dremel cutting disk helps to reduce the walking.

Serrations

To avoid the "walking" issue when drilling, use a centering drill. These are used normally on a lathe to make a center on a spinning shaft. They can be chucked in a drill press or a hand drill. They cut where you put them and do not walk. Once your hole is started switch to a normal drill bit (whatever size you would have started with) and drill through. If you marked center, your hole will be centered. I've done it with a hand drill many times!

RUSTY OLD COLT

Came across a direct replacement knob by a company called ultimate jigging products, you use the original hardware and just replace the knob.