113H stainless gear/sleeve fitment issue

Started by vilters, July 03, 2016, 11:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilters

just took my yts apart to add the dd bridge from alan C. and stainless sleeve from smooth drag. the main gear will not slide down the sleeve past the threads, fits fine on the o.e. brass sleeve. I don't have a brass main gear to try, my gears are accurate, I also tried a newell main gear with the same result. sanded the I.d. of the gear, still no go. before I take metal off the inside of the gear, has anyone else had this happen?...

Black Pearl

Quote from: vilters on July 03, 2016, 11:04:03 PM
just took my yts apart to add the dd bridge from alan C. and stainless sleeve from smooth drag. the main gear will not slide down the sleeve past the threads, fits fine on the o.e. brass sleeve. I don't have a brass main gear to try, my gears are accurate, I also tried a newell main gear with the same result. sanded the I.d. of the gear, still no go. before I take metal off the inside of the gear, has anyone else had this happen?...

Is that my sleeve with 10 teeth?

mo65

Yes...I had this same trouble with a new stainless jigmaster gear and the stainless sleeve. It sounds like yours may be tighter than mine was, as spinning and twisting the gear got mine on. It was stiff as a poker for a few turns...but limbered right up.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Quote from: Black Pearl on July 03, 2016, 11:35:57 PM

I don't believe so Alan, the prototype was checked by me on the Stock Gear from Penn, Accurate, Newell your 113H&113HX :

Quote from: mo65 on July 03, 2016, 11:38:12 PM
Yes...I had this same trouble with a new stainless jigmaster gear and the stainless sleeve. It sounds like yours may be tighter than mine was, as spinning and twisting the gear got mine on. It was stiff as a poker for a few turns...but limbered right up.
Mo, yours is a different issue, this one is the 113H.
Make sure your gear sleeve pin is not sticking out a bit, it doesn't take much.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

Ive had a couple where I had to file down the ends of the pin a little to allow the gear to slide on.  You can check it by removing the pin and test fitting the gear.  If it goes on without the pin, but not with, you need to file the ends of the pin slightly.

vilters

thanks for the replies. was indeed the sleeve pin, looked ok, but as said, doesn't take much. all better now!

vilters

Quote from: Black Pearl on July 03, 2016, 11:35:57 PM

not your sleeve Alan, I had bought it some time back, before the 10 tooth sleeve was available, and waited for the dd bridge to install it. after having done so, I think i'll get one of your 10 tooth sleeves, as I prefer simultaneous engagement of the dogs. really like the bridge, my reel feels really smooth and tight, thanks!