Avet MXJ 5.8 Pinion bearing

Started by bobbyeit, July 04, 2016, 04:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbyeit

Hello all,

I am a new member to this site and have come to ask for assistance in fixing my avet MXJ 5.8. Through the research that I have done thus far it seems that the pinion bearing is the culprit of my reel making quite a bit of noise when I am using it. The problem is I am unable to be positive which bearing it is. I've looked on avet's website and can't find a part on the schematic specifically labelled "pinion bearing". Is this the bearing behind the main gear pressed into the side plate? Seems like it should be since this is wear the "pinion gear" rides. Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tiddlerbasher

If the drag preset has been overtightened, at some time, that will fry the pinion bearing.

bobbyeit

Thanks for the confirmation fellas! I popped it out this morning and upon inspection I didn't visually see anything wrong with it. It seemed a tad rough up spinning it, I am not super familiar with how it should feel so I am now doubting if this is the cause of my grinding/clicking noise upon tightening the drag but with the research I have done this has to be it. Now I am wondering if I should replace just the one bearing or should I replace them all? Any thoughts on which route to take?

Tiddlerbasher

Replace pinion bearing to start - If that cures it - job done. Set the drag with scales and use within manufacturer's spec. Don't forget to clean bearings then grease 'em (oil on the spool bearings for better free spool)

Tiddlerbasher

bobbyeit

Thanks for the info I very much appreciate the help! I will try to replace the one bearing to see if that fixes the issue and report back.

Keta

Clean and inspect all of the bearings but most problems are the pinion bearing.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bobbyeit

Problem solved, took the reel out today and used it for fluking. No more noise and it worked the way it is suppose to. Thanks again for the help, felt good to use it today realizing I was able to fix it myself and not pay someone. ;D

Tightlines667

Quote from: bobbyeit on July 07, 2016, 02:32:54 AM
Problem solved, took the reel out today and used it for fluking. No more noise and it worked the way it is suppose to. Thanks again for the help, felt good to use it today realizing I was able to fix it myself and not pay someone. ;D

Great to hear you got it sorted out, and gained some valuable experience servicing your reel.  Just be aware that provided you operate/fish the reel within specs, and service it regularly.. there should be no need to 'fix' it. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

whatever you do, don't tell your friends.  they're going to start dropping off reels in milk crates so that you can work on them.  that's how most of us started!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bobbyeit

Tightlines - This is 100% my fault, I over tightened the drag and did not know how to use the reel properly. I do like using it and will be more careful in the future.

Alan - Haha I can see that happening, gotta stay hush hush!