FAQ For Noobs? First Timer Seeking Education

Started by Narfanael, March 14, 2011, 05:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narfanael

Hi,

Looking for information for the TRUE First Timer.

I've checked the front page of all the different board sections here for a Sticky regarding "Things Every Noob Should Know" or "The Basics" or some such.  I'm not finding it.  If there is such a thread, would you please be so kind as to link it for me? I see lots of specialized questions, but I'm really hoping for a checklist of maintenance tasks for both new reels and upkeep services.

I'm very excited to get busy doing some reel tuning.  I've never once maintained any of my stuff, so this should be fun, educational, and a real godsend to my gear. I really can't wait to get started.   

So far, this is what I've pieced together and am planning to do:

1) Grease ye drags.  Light coat. 
   2) Wipe down external parts with corrosion x
   3) Use corrosion X on bearings

Please advise me if any of the above is incorrect. 

In addition, I'm having a hard time figuring out what CF drags I should swap in.  Smooooooth Drags didn't list my reels.  How do you figure out what to use?

Fwiw, I'm an engineer by trade and have resources available to me.  I am kickin myself for not being aware sooner to service my reels.  Heretofor, they were lucky if they ever even got rinsed off.  And i have nice stuff too!  What a fool I am!!  I fish 90% of the time in the salt.  I use both conventional and spinning gear. 

The following reels have never been serviced:

Okuma Convector 30 D
   Shimano Torium 16
   Shimano Tyrnos 10 ii
   Daiwa Saltist 4500H
   Shimano Stratic 4000FI
   Quantum Blue Runner something or other.

The convector came on a daiwa sealine rod for $80 used.  I don't know it's age.  It seems to work great. 

The torium 16 was an x-mas present from like 8 years ago.  It's only been fished a few times.  Mainly, because I always birdsnested the stink out of it, and I don't have a boat, so it never got used.  It saw use a dozen times last year though. 

The tyrnos 10ii I just won off ebay for 143 bucks.  It came NIB, supposedly, and seems unused.

The Daiwa Saltist 4500H is a spinner.  It has seen the most use.  It's my go-to for most tasks. 

The stratic is also more or less NIB, i got it late last year and maybe used it a time or two. 

Quantum Blue Runner something or other is my very first reel.  It's landed a ton of fish.  It's been used and abused.  I'd love to fix it up. 

Thanks for your input!!

- Nate

alantani

start with the pacific coast sportfishing blogs, then go to tools, then to general procedures, the go to the tutorials for the tyrnosl the trinidad and the convector.  you will see posts that are "sticky'd" to the top.  those are the ones to read.  for spinners, measure your drag washes and match them up with penn drag washers listed in the parts section.  you can also post the dimensions on the smoothdrag board and dawn might be able to match something up for you.  otherwise, you seem to be on the right track.  please let us know how you are progressing.  oh, and welcome!!!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

You'll find a lot of answers for general info in these boards:
http://alantani.com/index.php?board=34.0  "General Questions and Troubleshooting
http://alantani.com/index.php?board=24.0  "General Procedures"
And of course the reel repair boards for the reels you own. If you have a reel not listed, go to  http://alantani.com/index.php?board=26.0   "Other Reel Tutorials and Questions"  and
    http://alantani.com/index.php?board=32.0  "Spinning Tutorials and Questions".

There's a bunch of info to wade through, but the search is the best way.

And Welcome!
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Narfanael

Thanks guys, I'll make good on updating my progress. 

paal

You are probably going to clean some of the ball bearings (using e.g. carb cleaner, lighter fluid). This is mentioned elsewhere in the forum, but just in case: do not spin the dry and unlubed ball bearings with compressed air! Use gentle puffs perpendicular to the rotation axis to avoid spinning them.

Narfanael

fwiw,

I am finding the subforums "General Procedures" and "General Questions and Trouble Shooting" as pretty specific (In fact, I don't see a content difference between these two subforums).  They both get into stuff it's assumed I should know, things like cutting bearing sleeve and drag washer configurations or custom drag washers.. 

Please remember I'm totally new at this...

What are the basic service tasks I should be doing for both conventional and spinning reels?
I can't find the answer to this and it seems super fundamental.  Doesn't it? Or am I crazy?  I dunno. 

Many thanks for your efforts and time taken to help a guy out.  I appreciate it and will happily recompense you if I can.  Please help!

Pro Reel

If you go to the smoothdrag website, you will see a tab for (carbontex washers by size) Click on that and you will see a numbered list from 1 to about 50. Every carbon washer that they make is listed there by it's OD X ID and thickness. Measure your washers and get as close as you can off the list then order the number you need. If it's not exact, you can use 100 grit sandpaper to easily remove some of the OD. You can use drill bits to easily increase the ID. Most are only available in one thickness, some can be ordered in a couple of thicknesses. Most spinning reels use one of just a few sizes. The #13 washer is most common for dozens of spinning reels. These are a great upgrade for the oiled felts that are stock to most spinners.

Narfanael

In my google searching on this, I'm finding a lot of e-zine type articles.  You know, the ones that say it's important to take care of your gear.  Lube rotating parts.  Rinse and wipe dry. 

I'm not finding deeper info, the cool stuff.  I want to pimp my drags and handles!  But, basics first. 

Fwiw, today at lunch i'm breaking down the Quantum Blue Runner 60 (3 ball bearing variant).   

I found this sorta useful.  It's not a list per-se, but it's a decent summary. 

http://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum/107202-spinning-reel-care-maintenance.html

Narfanael

Quote from: Pro Reel on March 15, 2011, 01:47:37 PM
If you go to the smoothdrag website, you will see a tab for (carbontex washers by size) Click on that and you will see a numbered list from 1 to about 50. Every carbon washer that they make is listed there by it's OD X ID and thickness. Measure your washers and get as close as you can off the list then order the number you need. If it's not exact, you can use 100 grit sandpaper to easily remove some of the OD. You can use drill bits to easily increase the ID. Most are only available in one thickness, some can be ordered in a couple of thicknesses. Most spinning reels use one of just a few sizes. The #13 washer is most common for dozens of spinning reels. These are a great upgrade for the oiled felts that are stock to most spinners.

Thanks!  This is EXACTLY what I needed.  I owe ya one if you're ever out my way. 

Pro Reel

It would be difficult to do a one type this is what you do tutorial that fits all reels. You will need a clean, well lit work area, carpet floors are bad beacause you will drop small parts. You should get the best tools you can, Good screwdriver set etc. You will need to study the tools section here to get some ideas on special tools that you will need. You will need to have the schematics for the reels, but don't expect them to show you everything you need to know. Plan on taking detailed notes and digital pictures of each step. As you remove a part, take a picture. that will save your butt when you can't remember where something went or how it fit. You should also take some notes about parts. I have done thousands of reels and I still make some notes about where certain washers and shims went, and where certain screws go. I describe screws as cut or machined and length. Get a good cleaning area set up, use hot water and simple green for most cleaning. Use acetone for metal parts with stuck on stuff. Use carb or brake cleaner to spray bearings out. do that outside or in ventilated garage. Make sure the bearings don't have rubber or plastic seals or they can't be cleaned in acetone or strong solvents. A dry air source is very helpfull to dry parts with a blow gun. To go back together, the basic rule is teeth of gears get grease and most other parts get oil. Thats very basic though, as most will put a fingerprint amount of grease on every part with oil on clutchs etc. One way bearing clutchs in spinners are not suposed to be oiled or greased. I found that you can put a very light coat of oil on them and they will still hold, but more than that and they will slip. Worm gears in casting reels work smoother if they are just oiled, but will need fresh oil more frequently. Bearings for spools in casting reels should be oiled with one drop, other bearings can be oiled or greased, but grease gives more protection.

Narfanael

Thank you ProReel!  The bits about what gets grease, what gets oil, what doesn't get anything... Really useful.  Thanks!