Off to Canada- and Walleye Fishing

Started by Wally15, July 07, 2016, 09:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

Leaving in a few hours for the 1500 mile drive to central Ontario. Will spend a week on a fly-in lake with 7 other geriatric reprobates, most of whom are retired former co-workers. This is my 9th consecutive year at this lake. Incredible fishery. 27-30" walleye are not that unusual, and Northerns up to 36". No Smallmouth, darn it.
I got a cortisone shot yesterday, and my right arm and shoulder are feeling much better. Fortunately, very little casting will be required. Got designated drivers for most of the trip up and back.
Will get an MRI when I get back to S GA and hopefully get a complete fix.
Will check back in around 7/19
Tight lines,
Mike Pate
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Lunker Larry

You might find water levels a bit lower this year. The province has been going through a heat wave and drought. Just saw on the morning news a heat warning through Toronto and areas. I live in Ottawa and we're seeing a drop even on the mighty Ottawa.
Have a safe trip and good fishing.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

mizmo67

Just be careful when you are reeling in, don't over crank that shoulder.

Have fun!
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

Good luck, Mike! Have a terrific time, (but save some of that pulling power for our December trip.)  ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RiverAngler

I wish I could, too. Hook 'em up, Mike!

Ralph
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

Wally15

I am finally home from my Canada fishing trip. When the float plane flew us back to the lodge Sunday morning (17th) after a week of fishing, I had a message to call home. I called my wife and she informed me my 90 yo mother had had a heart attack the previous evening and was in CCU. I packed up and drove the 1200 miles to Durham, NC in 23 hours, with help driving from a old military buddy and fellow fisherman on the trip.
Mom has recovered and was moved to a rehab center today, hopefully for only a week or so to get her strength back. So she should be around for her 91st birthday next month.
Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?
The fishing was great this year. I caught a 28" walleye (the largest one landed, 8 fishermen-pics to follow after I download them), and we caught a lot of healthy 17-18" fish. That must have been a great class year. The 8 of us caught and released over 1000 Walleye, and didn't hardly fish one day due to wind and rain.
36" was the largest Northern caught (not by me, darn it).
Saw a couple of moose, a black bear with 2 cubs, lots of bald eagles, beavers, loons, and the biggest snowshoe rabbit you can imagine was hanging around the cabin. Plus I had a mama groundhog (correction, WOODCHUCK) eat a hot dog out of my hand. I thought they were herbivores.
The temps were 70-90 Sunday thru Wednesday, then a series of strong thunderstorms rolled through Thursday. The low was 47 on Friday and 44 on Saturday morning. That sleeping bag felt GOOD!
You're not in S. GA anymore, Toto.
My arm did OK on the trip. Only took an Oxy at bedtime. If I don't look up or to the right, the arm doesn't bother me very much.
Very eventful 2 weeks! Got home about 5 PM today. Now to see if I can get my MRI moved up from September to something more reasonable, like tomorrow.
Mike

"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

RiverAngler

So sorry to hear about your Mother. Wishing her and your family all of the best.

Sounds like you had a great fishing trip! I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

David Hall

Get that MRI and go see that neurosurgeon.

Wally15

Pics from the trip to Rice Lake, Ontario. This was my 9th straight year. The flora, fauna, and scenery is amazing.
http://airivanhoe.com/

Mike Pate
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Wally15

More fish pics, the scenic drive along the Mississagi River, The Gang of Eight,
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Keta

I'm glad your mother is OK Mike....and you had a good trip too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

joel8080

Oceanside,California

alantani

looks like a great trip, glad everything is working out!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!