Centaure Pacific Spinning Reels

Started by Tightlines667, July 08, 2016, 12:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

While tracking down some Senators to complete Fred's collection today, I came across a grouping of some NOS Luxor spinning reels (in box with papers, wrenches, etc), and this Centaure Pacific No. 200 reel. 

I really don't know much about these early French spinning reels, but they do look to be quality reels.  Maybe someone can ad a bit of info regarding these early French Spinners?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

Great reel and what about the Luxors, they are some of the best large spinning reels ever made, in my opinion.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Penn Chronology on July 08, 2016, 01:47:43 AM
Great reel and what about the Luxors, they are some of the best large spinning reels ever made, in my opinion.

Mike,
I got distracted by the A&F big game rod, and didn't manage any photos, but he had a really big one (boxed/complete), a medium one (boxes/complete), and a small one (papers only).  He also had a whole bunch of old school Ulua rods (including several double taper bamboo, and those Fenwicksame Brian likes).  All are available for purchase.  He also gave me a few boxes of 18 thread linen line.
Hope springs eternal

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Penn Chronology

All great stuff John. I have a soft spot for big Luxors, they have great history. The spinning reel became the tackle of choice for surf fisherman after the war and the big Luxors were the Van Stalls of the 1950's and 60's in the Northeast USA. The Luxor Crack 300 was a tank and regarded as the finest surf reel of its day,,,,, and then came the Penn Spinfisher 700...................................<:O)

As Bryan Young said, you stumbled onto a treasure :o

Penn Chronology

QuoteAll are available for purchase.

I would be interested in a large NOS in the box Luxor if he has one available. Please PM me with the specifics if possible. Thanks, Mike C.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Penn Chronology on July 08, 2016, 05:14:47 AM
QuoteAll are available for purchase.

I would be interested in a large NOS in the box Luxor if he has one available. Please PM me with the specifics if possible. Thanks, Mike C.

After doing a little research, I am beginning to think that I may be intetested in the big one myself.  I will look into it tmrw, and let you know.
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

John,
Any luck with Fred's Search?
The guy deserves these reels. The last 14/0 I bought was from you was at $400, and it was all stock. The 16/0 can go anywhere from $600 and up.
I have hot rodded all mine with stainless sleeves and gears, dogs and handles, but if it comes down to it. I will strip them of the hot rod parts, turn them back to stock, and make Fred's dream come true. That Dam collection will not be available anywhere else.
I know you can get it done for less. For some strange Reason, all the Big Senators seem to live in Hawaii.
I have tried my best to migrate them, but only you have the power.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 08, 2016, 05:58:34 AM
John,
Any luck with Fred's Search?
The guy deserves these reels. The last 14/0 I bought was from you was at $400, and it was all stock. The 16/0 can go anywhere from $600 and up.
I have hot rodded all mine with stainless sleeves and gears, dogs and handles, but if it comes down to it. I will strip them of the hot rod parts, turn them back to stock, and make Fred's dream come true. That Dam collection will not be available anywhere else.
I know you can get it done for less. For some strange Reason, all the Big Senators seem to live in Hawaii.
I have tried my best to migrate them, but only you have the power.

:)

Lol

There are certainly alot of 9/0, 12/0, and 14/0s here.  I snagged a 12/0 and a 14/0 today, but it may be a bit of a wait (a week or 2), until a 16/0 shows up.
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Daron,
Funny thing is with all the reels that have gone through my hands, and all that were added to my collection..
I don't have a set of 5 for the rods I am building to fish myself.  I changed that situation this past week.  If I ever close a deal on a boat, I intend to start out fishing the senators with upgraded guts.  Now I just need one more 14/0, and a 16/0.  They will turn up.

I can keep these reels for myself, if you want to send those 2 to Fred, or give me a week or two, and I can gather the reels Fred is looking for and send them his way.

John
Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

QuoteAfter doing a little research, I am beginning to think that I may be intetested in the big one myself.  I will look into it tmrw, and let you know.

I understand. They are great reels. I have two versions in my collection; but, neither is NOS in the box.

The reel on the left is a Crack 300 circa 1968, the right is an early 1960's "C" Model.

These reels are heavy tanks. Built to catch fifty pound stripers all day.

Shark Hunter

Fred's will be on the way this weekend.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Mike,
Here is what I picked up today...

The owner said he doesn't believe that either reel has ever been fished, and that he bought both new here in HI.  The boxed Luxor 300 version does appear to be in great overall condition.  The Crack has some minor discoloration, small bits of corrosion (on line guide, and set screw), and the spoop felt is deteriorating.

The Luxor has a spare spool,  2 documents, and the box.. no wrench.  The other is just the reel.

LMK if you are interested in either or both, and I can send them your way.

John
Hope springs eternal

Makule

I'd be interested in one of the Luxor reels too.  I have an old one.  Would fish with it instead of just collecting it.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.