7/5-7/6 Tilefish Deep Drop

Started by coastal_dan, July 09, 2016, 08:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

I had the privilege of doing a 24 hour trip this week on The Voyager out of Point Pleasant for Tilefish, fast becoming my favorite type of species to target and catch.

I met some really neat individuals and learned a few new tricks and tips.  Head-boat fishing is a fantastic way to catch these fish while keeping the price reasonable.

I finished the day with 7 Bluelines (daily limit) and 2 Goldens.  I was quite happy, some wished for more fish but the conditions weren't quite right (no wind and not a lot of current).  As you'll see in the photos the water was basically flat glass calm.

I'll put some captions with the photos and run down some of the gear.

Thanks for reading and looking  ;)

Sunrise

The Gear...U.S. Senator Narrow filled with 65 lb braid, FG Knot to 30ft of 60 lb fluoro.  Rod was a Shakespeare Extra Heavy 8'.  Rig is a top and bottom circle hook rig with squid is the bait...lead used was 32 ounces throughout the day.  The reel/rod did pretty great for the 350ish feet that we did for the majority of the drops.  Alans handle helped a lot!  This was a great beginner/novice combo, lots of room to grow but the proof is in the pudding...or in the cooler in this instance  ;D

I lucked out with the first fish of the day, decent Blueline.

Flat calm!

Lunch was amazing, "you catch it, we grill it" wrap...seriously the best thing I've ever eaten while fishing.  Best $5 ever...photo certainly doesn't do it justice  ::)

Rain in the distance?

Yup....

Our final drop was a bit over 900 ft deep...WOW it was deep, not a ton of fish caught at this drop but the pool Golden Tile was caught here along with a few rosefish.

Final fish shot in the cooler (my 110 qt was the smallest fish cooler on the boat, haha)

This sunset was a great way to end the day.

Fish deboned and ready for Vacuum packing.

Ended up with about 10 nice sized dinners for our family of four.

Thanks for reading folks and tight lines  8)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

spc7669

Very nice! You did a good job on the photography. Don't think we have Tilefish over on this coast. How big do they get?

Alto Mare

Nice Dan, how far out did you go?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

That looks like a great trip.  900' definately constitutes a deep drop.  Sounds like a workout, with or without fish on the line. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

conchydong

Quote from: spc7669 on July 09, 2016, 08:50:39 PM
Very nice! You did a good job on the photography. Don't think we have Tilefish over on this coast. How big do they get?

If I am not mistaken what you guys call "Whitefish" are a type of Tile although generally found much shallower than our East coast Tiles. The Whitefish  look a little like the Blueline (Gray) Tiles we have on the East Coast.

Nice job Dan, Deep Dropping is  probably my main type of fishing. Snowies and Goldens primarily but we target Bluelines on occasion. Rosies (Black Belly Rosefish) can save the day sometimes. With the proximity to the Gulfstream and the strong currents here in S. Florida , hand cranking is not common unless you are superman. Often up to 10lbs or more of weight is required and even then somedays the current is so strong, you just cannot deep drop.
Scott

spc7669

Nope, I'm on the East Coast. Tilefish is a new one on me.

conchydong

Quote from: spc7669 on July 09, 2016, 09:41:54 PM
Nope, I'm on the East Coast. Tilefish is a new one on me.

Sorry 'bout that, I assumed you were on the West coast. Tilefish are great eating as they eat crustaceans primarily, hence their meat is mild and sweet. Goldens are better than Bluelines but both are good.

handi2

That's my kind of fishing too up here in the Panhandle. It started out by necessity. Spending hundreds of dollars on fuel bluewater trolling we started deep dropping. I started out using the old Electramates about 8 years ago. It seemed too easy catching Golden Tiles and Snowy Grouper back then. Since Daiwa came out with their electrics everyone is now doing it.

Bringing back a box full of excellent eating bottom fish will save a day of trolling every time.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

coastal_dan

Hey guys thanks for reading  ;D

This was out of New Jersey, Tilefish seem to have a huge range on the East Coast FL up to Upper parts of the North East, part of the Gobi family.

Sal, I don't know exactly but... we went past the 100 fathom line for that 900'+ drop (we went past the numerous lobster pot set ups at the line).  A couple of the older gents said we were around the Wilmington.  Next time I will be asking for sure because I have asked myself the same question a few times, haha.

Tilefish are delicious, one of my favorite fish to eat. 

Conchydog - a few of the fish were spitting up a smallish red speckled crab and during the fish cleaning there were quite a few little claws on the deck.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

spc7669

On most of my trips 9' is pretty deep water. My little skiff doesn't like chop. I wish I had an easier way to go offshore, but finding 5 other guys willing to drive 5 or 6 hours and spend the money has not proven to be easy.

Bryan Young

Wow, that's a long way down. And yet I think it was a longer way up.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

twotone

Nice post Dan. You are right very tasty indeed. Here's what I've seen with Centro America Pacific tile spit out.

twotone

steelfish

Quote from: coastal_dan on July 10, 2016, 12:01:03 AM

Tilefish are delicious, one of my favorite fish to eat. 

if those Tilefish are the same than our Whitefish (we also have whitefish on the sea of cortez) and normally catched on 500-600ft deep then I completely agree that are delicious, my wife favorite fish to eat.

The Baja Guy