New Makaira issues.

Started by Normslanding, March 15, 2011, 04:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Normslanding

Alan, Wished I saw you at the FHS. I picked up 3 more Makairas at the show. A 20, 15, & 10. The 20 is great like my 50. But there seems to be a spool centering (relative to the frame) issue on the 15, & 10. That in it self may not be a issue but it seems a little odd. With the reel is out of gear the left side of the spool is flush with the frame. Can I adjust this changing the washer configuration?

Another issue is when the spool spins (on the 10) I hear a ticking, with the spool being toward the left I thought It may be click paw hitting the ratchet gear. Removing the side plate did not show any indication of that. Any idea?

On the 15 when the drag is engaged, and the handle turned I hear a sound like a anti-backlash device. My 50, and 20 do not do this. did you find that to be proper when you broke these down?

Love the reels.
            Thanks,
                 Dave Spangler

alantani

the lip in the spool is for your thumb.  it's designed for jigging guys.  give okuma a call.  the spools are supposed to be silent when in free and cranking is supposed to be silent in gear.  don't know what's up with yours.  can you give us a follow up?  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

spes

I notice this on my MK 10 also. When the drag is engaged the spool isn't perfectly centered.
As you drop the drag lever down to freespool the spool shifts/moves to the left. When in freespool the  INSIDE/left side of the spool is flush with the main frame.

I don't know that this is any kind of "issue" just seems the way it is designed to move to me.

JGB

As Alan mentioned the 8, 10, and 15 spools have the right spool lip exposed. It is considered a design feature. This was done to provide the East coast guys with a thumbing feature so they have more consistent cast control (they like to thumb the inside edge of the spool and they allow for this by  not spooling as full as the West coast shops like to). I did try this but did not do very well -  ;D

Jim N.