Hey guys long time no talk! 12/0 ??'s here..help

Started by TheReelGuy850, July 14, 2016, 01:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelGuy850

I have a customer that has a Penn 12/0 and would like a stainless steel gear upgrade along with the sleeve yolk pinion gear and all the other goodies. Anyone have an idea on what the price would be so I could give him a good quote
The Reel Guy
Fishing reel and rod repair service
Panama City, Florida

Shark Hunter

The ss sleeves are available from Tom (Cortez Conversions) for $54 I believe.
Other than the sleeve, upgraded handle arm and stainless posts.
There are no ss parts available.
The sleeve upgrade, handle and maybe an insert kit drag upgrade are all that is available here.
Life is Good!

Parkerzam

I have a 12/0 116L and I'm looking for the insert and drag washer upgrade can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm pretty new to the site and want to restore an old 12/0 that I just purchased. Thanks!

David Hall

Adam with Motive fab is your go to guy for the insert and drag Kit, he runs through stock pretty quickly but if he does t have them on hand it's usually not more than a few weeks until he gets more.
Google motive fab or find a link on the home page, scroll down you'll see him there, Cortez conversions would have the stainless gear sleeve.

Shark Hunter

As David said, I wouldn't do one without the other.(Stainless Sleeve and insert kit)
Adam's website is down, but this is what you need for the insert kit.
It is the best upgrade available.
The insert kit comes with all the washers you need and a Delrin Undergear washer.
Adam and Tom have their own places on this site.
Cortez Conversions and Motive Fabrication.
If you need anything more, just ask. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: TheReelGuy850 on July 14, 2016, 01:26:26 AM
I have a customer that has a Penn 12/0 and would like a stainless steel gear upgrade along with the sleeve yolk pinion gear and all the other goodies. Anyone have an idea on what the price would be so I could give him a good quote
On most reels it is a good idea to replace the gears with a custom stainless steel set, but I would keep the gears that he has on that  one and just replace the gear sleeve and dog with stainless steel. As you know the 10/0 & 12/0 come with the second largest gear set.
I've purchased many of these through the years and sold many, I have never seen one with bad gears, just bad gear sleeve and dog.
Inserts are nice and usable with brass gears but he would also get away with 7+1drag washers.
A custom stainless steel handle is a plus.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Joe, I personally don't believe there is a need, brass gears on the 10/0 and up to the 16/0 are plenty strong. Stainless steel gears are available for the 14/0 & 16/0 but not for the 10/0 & 12/0. If you look around, you should bve able to find steel gears for those as well, but, as I've mentioned above, there is no need to on those...just my opinion.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 21, 2016, 01:07:30 PM
Sal; thank you for your incite. I was wondering about all of this upgrading of reels and this post brought it to mind with your comments. Is it necessary to build a Jig Master for instance with SS gears when we upgrade to 5+1 drag systems alone. Or is the whole package necessary to upgrade the smaller reels to catch a larger fish then those reels are designed for.

I'm asking these questions because it seams like some people have gotten cough up with all the up grades are necessary when actually there not. I have hot roded reels but just because I wanted to, but I can see now how people could get carried away with this.

Joe
Joe I load all my reels to the brim, up to the 9/0.

sdlehr

Yeah, Joe, for you it may be about utility, for many of us these things get done "because we can".

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector