makaira upgrade

Started by jl, March 15, 2011, 06:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jl

I could not post pictures here, so here is a link to the new arm I made for the Makaira 20

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/fishing-reels/314765-makaira-20-upgrade.html#post2194589

Bryan Young

Are you planning to produce more handles?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jl

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 16, 2011, 08:34:59 PM
Are you planning to produce more handles?

I can.  I do not have the tools or ability to make the square hole for the stock handle.  The stock arm has a recess for the square nut from the handle to go in.   Besides, I like Alan's handle better.

Jeff

JGB

Nice job! The Square hole is there only to prevent the possibility of the shaft unscrewing. Personally it is not necessary as the screw is left handed anyway. Try turning the shaft on a lathe and make the square part round (just to keep as much strength as possible) and give it a slight interference fit (press fit that pulls it in as the screw is tightened). This is how I have retrofitted the Tiburon handle to other reels.

I could use 2 of them ;)
Jim N.

jl

I have a friend that will try out the new arm in his April trip.  Will see how it works first before I start making anymore..