Started by fishmeluck, July 15, 2016, 06:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishmeluck

Since last summer, I've picked up these three rods:
Davis Big Game, 5' 6", 80-100 lb, new
Penn Carnage, 7', 50-100 lb, new
Penn Tuna Stick, 5' 6", 40-100 lb, used but very good condition

The two reels I have available to pair with them are:
Okuma TG 50W (54 oz), single speed 2.7:1, rated 430 yd 80 mono, 35 lb max drag at strike.
Penn 114H (47 oz), single speed 2.8:1, rated 390 yd 60 mono, with a Tiburon frame and Bryan's 7-drag stack, max drag at least 35? lb
The Okuma reel is stock and is currently spooled with 430 yd 80 lb Sufix Superior mono. The Penn reel doesn't have line on it yet.

My intent is to catch a tuna in the 100 lb vicinity, not be undergunned should that tuna turn out to be 150 lb instead of 100 lb, and not break my budget or my back.  Re: the budget, I have these reels already, so I don't want to spend $500+ on a new two-speed reel that I might only use a few times. Also, I don't really need three rigs, so once I decide on the best setup, I'll probably sell two of the rods and one of the reels. Unless it makes sense to have two rigs, one for bait and one for trolling. I'm so confused ???.

It seems like either reel could pair with any of the three rods, but I'm not sure that straight, heavy mono is the best way to spool either reel.  My back is not strong due to an old injury, and it might be better for me to set the drag at 20 lb, at most, and go for more line capacity instead of heavy line strength and high drag. I thought of braid backing and a short 80 lb fluoro leader, but these reels already have such large capacity, they would take ridiculous yardage of 100 lb braid. I just don't know why I would need 860 yd or more of 100 lb braid on the Penn and even more on the Okuma. Also, increasing the braid diameter does not reduce the cost any, and it just makes the line the bait must carry even heavier.

So, here's a crazy idea. Using a line estimator, I figured the Okuma reel could be loaded with 175 yd 130 mono and 425 yd 100 braid on top, then fished with a short 80 lb fluoro leader. The advantages would be 600 yd capacity, and the braid diameter would be comparable to 25 and 30 lb mono, allowing the bait to swim better. The Penn reel has less line capacity, yet the same approach would appear to work with 70 yd 130 mono and 525 yd 100 braid on top.

Are these dumb ideas? If so, and they probably are, which rod and reel pair would you keep, and how would you spool the reel?
Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Keta

Fill the spol 1/2 way with Dacron then enough Spectra to fill it with a 100' or shorter mono topshot.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bill19803

at  the risk of getting  shot  by  some members let me  share   some experience  with  you

First   the drag of   35  lbs. mentioned . No  way   can  you  handle  that  for  long,  not  even rail  fishing.  so  dont  sweat that.  Maybe    27 on the  rail    if you are in great  shape  and a big  guy. If   150  yft  is   your   goal  then  id  guess  that  either    reel loaded   with   straight  mono or better   will   do the  job  if the  drags  are   in good  shape,  adjusted  properly  and  used  correctly. Spectra  lets   you make  mistakes  and recover from  them before being  spooled,  but  its not a necessary   requirement.  A  whole lot of   150 yft  hit the  deck  in days  gone by   with   80  or  even   60    mono   on    4/0   and   6/0  senators. A  lot  depends on how  much line is left on the reel   at  strike.
But all that being  said   drags  in  great condition  mean  everything   for  success much  more  so then  line capacity
I personally have landed   yft   of   135  dressed  on  4/0 hlw  with  60 lb   stock   from the box. A  bit   dicy  but  goter   done
Bill

Shark Hunter

Everybody has their own opinion. You may get criticized for it, but there is no shooting here Bill. ;D
I have never caught a Tuna, I hear they fight like nobody's business. I use them for bait. ;)
I would mount the 114H to the Tuna stick. Back it with JB hollow core and 60 to 80lb mono on top.
That reel is a powerhouse. With Bryan's 7 stack in it and that short rod, you should be able to put the hurt on them.
The one upgrade I would add is a stainless sleeve.

Life is Good!

fishmeluck

Shark Hunter,

According to the line estimator, the Penn 6/0 can hold 600 yd of 100 lb braid and a top shot of 117 yd of 60 lb mono. If the mono is Sufix Superior, it has a high strength to diameter ratio, and its breaking strength is 20%-40% higher than its rating according to several online sources. Assuming a middle number of 30%, then 60 lb Sufix S. mono is actually more like 78 lb mono. The Penn reel is also lighter.

And, I'm also leaning toward one of the two short rods well, because of my back. Any particular reason you preferred the Tuna Stick to the Davis rod?
Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

fishmeluck

Quote from: Keta on July 15, 2016, 07:24:06 PM
Fill the spol 1/2 way with Dacron then enough Spectra to fill it with a 100' or shorter mono topshot.

I did some checking online and many folks are not in favor of using Dacron backing. Sounds like you might have tried it and it worked for you though.

fishmeluck

Quote from: bill19803 on July 15, 2016, 09:21:43 PM
at  the risk of getting  shot  by  some members let me  share   some experience  with  you

First   the drag of   35  lbs. mentioned . No  way   can  you  handle  that  for  long,  not  even rail  fishing. 
Bill

Hi Bill,

That 35 lb was just to mention the rated drag capacity of the reel, not to say I would set my drag there. And that is good to hear about those Penn 6/0s handling big tuna. Today's mono is probably better than the old. Sufix Superior 60 lb breaks well above 60 lb according to several sources online. So, if I used that, about 20 lb is likely where I would set the drag initially.

I think I might be zeroing in on the best rig, and it would not require backing under the braid.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: fishmeluck on July 16, 2016, 04:31:03 AM
Shark Hunter,

According to the line estimator, the Penn 6/0 can hold 600 yd of 100 lb braid and a top shot of 117 yd of 60 lb mono. If the mono is Sufix Superior, it has a high strength to diameter ratio, and its breaking strength is 20%-40% higher than its rating according to several online sources. Assuming a middle number of 30%, then 60 lb Sufix S. mono is actually more like 78 lb mono. The Penn reel is also lighter.

And, I'm also leaning toward one of the two short rods well, because of my back. Any particular reason you preferred the Tuna Stick to the Davis rod?
I use suffix tritanium 100lb on my 12/0's. The superior is really good line, I just got a deal on the tritanium.
The Davis is made in China. It can be had for less than a hundred dollars. They are not a bad rod, but I think the Tuna Stick is of higher quality.
Life is Good!

fishmeluck

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 16, 2016, 03:03:33 PM
... I think the Tuna Stick is of higher quality.

I think you are right about that. I'm going to keep the Tuna Stick and Penn 6/0 and sell the Davis rod and Okuma reel. Think I'll hold onto the Penn rod for a while.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Shark Hunter

Put it up for sale here. Someone will buy them. I have a Davis. I caught my first Shark on it.
Then Aftco filed suit against them for copyright infringement on their rollers.
The newer ones aren't as good.
Fish On!
Life is Good!