DAM Quick 220 parts needed.

Started by rtpzwms, July 17, 2016, 12:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtpzwms

Hi I need some help finding a few parts for a reel that I just purchased.

100-181  brake spindle w/o ratchet
100-104 2  Washer, Metal
100-499 2  Eared Washer
100-500 2  Washer
100-087  Washer (resitex)

The brake spindle is bound to the spindle axel.  I've soaked and heated it and there is still no movement on the shaft.  I have a new axel on the way so no I need to rebuild the spool.

Thanks for any help.

rtpzwms

foakes

Hi rtpzwms --

These are the parts you asked for.

New, old stock.

$15 + $3 shipping.

The spindle on your spool axle is likely slightly rusted.  That is why it is important to grease the axle with a thin coat of synthetic grease such as Penn or Yamaha -- after removing the spool via the push button, and drying it out.  Or a drop or two of oil.

That old spindle can likely be removed by soaking in Penetrating oil overnight -- then tapping the chrome push button with a wooden or nylon faced mallet -- just moving the brass spindle enough to get up over the lock pin under the spindle.

Then use a pair of vice grips with tape covered jaws on the spool axle -- and a OE wrench on the spindle -- to work the spindle in an opposite direction back and forth to work it apart.  Then clean out the spindle with "0000" steel wool wrapped around a small drill bit. And clean off the axle with SW also.

Clean up, to get out any bits of SW -- lube, and it should be good to go.

Let me know with a PM -- your personal information for sending these to you.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

rtpzwms

Thanks again Fred.  I did try soaking it overnight, I fear that this has been fused for many years.  And this morning I tried to liberate the break spindle from the shaft with no luck yet.  I still have my original new to me when I was a kid 220 to compare against.  I'll give it another try in a few days to see if things have changed but with the expectation that it will not get much better I'm going  to plan b new parts...  I have a few of these old reels and love them.  I just gave my son a 110N that is a little dream.  So smooth and light just a great little reel.  I kept the microlite for now.  I expect my other son will lay claim to that one soon enough.

But again thank you for your quick reply.

foakes

You bet, Rob --

And welcome to the forum.

Those Quicks are very good reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

I purchased some Kroil penetrating oil from reading about how well it works. It does work great. If Kroil and heat doesn't break it free I don't know what would. It does take more heat than you would imagine and it won't hurt the parts.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

theswimmer

Another Quick acolyte!
You are in luck Rob, I think Fred has more parts for DAM reels than anyone else.
He keeps me in parts for my Supers.......
And Welcome!
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn