1st Newell Super jigmaster

Started by Yogi_fish808, July 20, 2016, 11:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogi_fish808

After hearing that Randy's Superjig kits weren't going to be offered this time with the newell spool option I was really bummed out since I was set on making something unique. But on this board we find solutions to make things work and remembered I had a set of the oem plastic inserts for making a jigmaster spool fit a 300 series. The plastic inserts seemed to have swollen a bit over time and was rubbing inside the pinion. I knew I had small diameter brass tubing and by some miracle the inside-diameter fit snugly over the spool shaft. Using the oem dimensions I cut and filed the brass pieces to size. The O.D. is actually thinner than the spool shaft so it makes no contact with the inside of the pinion. With some shimming to center the spool my No-Letter 344-5 is now a fully functioning 348-5, maybe the widest 300 series ever. Freespool is excellent, no pinion clearance issues, clicker engages perfectly and all other functions are good to go also. Super super stoked and couldn't be happier with how the kit turned out. Being that I'm from Hawaii, the engraved uluas were a special touch. Mahalos braddah Randy!

Aloha,
Kyle

Rothmar2

Wicked! Great job. Would love to just lay my hands on a Newell one day. Very uncommon over here.
Enjoy that one of kind machine.

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: Rothmar2 on July 20, 2016, 12:11:26 PM
Wicked! Great job. Would love to just lay my hands on a Newell one day. Very uncommon over here.
Enjoy that one of kind machine.

Thanks Rothmar,
Your SS frames are the real one of a kind creations, master of fabrication. All I did was cut a few little brass tubes for this to work. For conventional reels newells were/are very popular, right behind the penn senator. If you ever get the itch to buy a newell our friend Randy here has very reasonable prices on them and with the screw hole positions being identical to the jigmaster your amazing frames should fit a 300 series.

Aloha,
Kyle

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Bryan Young

Kyle you are getting better and better each day. You need a mini machine shop buddy.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 20, 2016, 05:20:28 PM
Kyle you are getting better and better each day. You need a mini machine shop buddy.

Mahalos Bryan,
Haha i need to clear up some space and get some proper lighting into my grandpa's old work area but it does have room to build one. This reel already has your drag kit so she just needs some fresh line and a day off to fish....maybe this week!

steelfish

this is a really wide newell

what line you plan on using on this reel buddy?
The Baja Guy

mo65

That's a great lookin' reel! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: steelfish on December 08, 2016, 06:52:03 PM
this is a really wide newell

what line you plan on using on this reel buddy?

80lb Gforce mono, diameter is closer to 50lb. I think its spooled up 285 yards. I swapped this kit onto some jigmastee accuplates and ordered the newell version from randy.

reel man

Many, many years ago a machinist made some of those brass sleeves, and I still have some.  They were made to fit Carl's Jigmaster spools into the 300-C conversion kits.

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: reel man on December 08, 2016, 09:12:25 PM
Many, many years ago a machinist made some of those brass sleeves, and I still have some.  They were made to fit Carl's Jigmaster spools into the 300-C conversion kits.

I just by chance had a brass tube the exact inside-diameter as the oem 300c plastic inserts and cut them to size. 

Tightlines667

Nice work!

The Hawaii guys would love that reel.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.