114H new toy

Started by rippin_lips, July 21, 2016, 08:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rippin_lips

Found a decent deal on Craigslist and $55 later had me a 114H. First thing is to tear it down and assess the insides. Then I will probably add an aluminum frame and aluminum spool. Is it best to order frames from tiburon or are members on this site selling them? I will continue this thread once I move forward.

P.s. do you see what's wrong with this picture?

Aiala

Yet another backwards eccentric lever, LOL   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

mizmo67

Yeah, folks tend to forget to flip that thing over :)
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

foakes

Quote from: mizmo67 on July 23, 2016, 09:02:01 PM
Yeah, folks tend to forget to flip that thing over :)

Yep --

Plus it is generally a sign that the reel has been apart and together by someone who likely had little knowledge of how it was supposed to go together.

Nothing wrong with that -- we all learned at one time or another.

Sometimes just the tip of the iceberg hint, for us to know -- as we tear into a reel.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Great looking super clean reel! I'd say you got a fine deal.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

twotone

Buy here when possible to keep the community growing. You could check out the for sale section.

Vintage Offshore Tackle has frames and lots of other parts. Or you can post in the wanted to buy , I'll bet you get a response. Lots of members here.
twotone

Gfish

Isa gear side plate cracked near the E. Lever? If so, you gonna replace with bakelite or aluminum?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

Quote from: Gfish on July 24, 2016, 12:33:23 PM
Isa gear side plate cracked near the E. Lever? If so, you gonna replace with bakelite or aluminum?
Gfish
I think you are looking at the indention in the later plates that are a little thicker in that area & have a step designed into that area because it wasn't made thicker under the eccentric lever.

sdlehr

Quote from: RowdyW on July 24, 2016, 01:05:50 PM
Gfish
I think you are looking at the indention in the later plates that are a little thicker in that area & have a step designed into that area because it wasn't made thicker under the eccentric lever.
I hadn't noticed before, but it looks like that little step is designed as a stop for the eccentric lever.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

RowdyW

Sid, the lever doesn't touch the step when the lever is installed correctly.

rippin_lips

Gfish

Not cracked. The lever being installed the wrong way chipped it a small amount but it's nothing major, barely noticeable. I would love aluminum side plates bu that's farther down the road if I decide to put that kind of money into it.

rippin_lips

Quote from: foakes on July 23, 2016, 09:49:06 PM

Yep --

Plus it is generally a sign that the reel has been apart and together by someone who likely had little knowledge of how it was supposed to go together.

Nothing wrong with that -- we all learned at one time or another.

Sometimes just the tip of the iceberg hint, for us to know -- as we tear into a reel.

Best,

Fred

A little concerning. I asked if he had opened it and he said no I don't think so. Obviously someone did. Still a clean reel though for a decent price so I took it.