Penn 1/0 build questions

Started by steelhead_killer, January 12, 2016, 03:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Thank you in advance for the help.  I have read that I can get a Tiburon Frame and Spool, same as 501.  I can locate a SS pinion from Scotts.  Bryan's 5+1 drags will work.   So here are my remaining questions:

1.  SS Gear sleeve the same as the 501?
2.  SS double dog bridge same as the 501?  Or do I have to retro fit to get a double dog on it?
3.  Will I need a drag spacer to take some slop out?
4.  SS gear availability?

Any other ideas, tips or help would be appreciated!

Andy

><)))">

alantani

here's the 1/0 schematic

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/110.pdf

and here is the 501 schematic

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/501.pdf

the coarse thread 98-60 stainless steel gear sleeve will fit, the bridges cannot be switched.  for spacers, i usually just fiddle with them until i get something i like.   all pinion gears are hardened stainless steel.   go with a 5-60 brass main gear.  they're quieter and smoother.  

do the drag upgrade, replace the gear sleeve only if the original is damaged, consider a handle upgrade before a frame upgrade.  

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

Straight from the mouth of the boss.
Ron from the sunset side of Oahu.
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

steelhead_killer

><)))">

steelhead_killer

Love these little guys!  This one turned out nice.  Need some new drags and a handle/knob combo and she is ready!
><)))">

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

Looks great and a great size too..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Ron Jones

Bryan young sells the 5 disk drag upgrade. Really nice little reel.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

steelhead_killer

Yes!  I ordered them yesterday.  Waiting for a couple of days to order a new handle and knob from Alan... Have to spread it out over a couple of days and weeks...  ;D
><)))">

Ron Jones

That is one of the nice things about doing these reels, you can spread the cost out over time and end up with a world class reel when you might not be able to spend several hundred dollars all at once for a retail reel.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

sharkman

Going to tiburon frame 1/0. Can I use the stand and bars to covert jigmaster 500 to 501.

thorhammer

Swami805

I have a 1/0 on the way. I have a tiburon frame but need an aluminum spool. Will a 506 spool work? Need to start saving for the ss stuff. Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

RowdyW

No, the 506 spool is for the ball bearing jigmaster reel unless you have 505 or 506 plates.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are