Okuma Titus T50W

Started by Pink Condor, March 16, 2011, 10:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Condor

Hi all.  This is my first post and my first reel disassembly.  I acquired this reel couple years ago and have never pursued doing anything with it, mainly because I didn't need it.  I still don't *need* it, but thought I should use it or lose it.  Also, thought since it is so big, might be a good learning experience (nice big parts to fool with and no little, teeny bits to go flying across the room).  Its problem is that it will not go into free spool when the lever is in the cast position.

I copied the schematics and all of that makes sense to me fine.  I have the right side off and the spool, connected to the left side out of the main housing, but I can't figure out how to remove the spool from the left side.  I have decided the original problem is in the "right" side because it spools nicely when it was removed, but I thought I would complete the task and totally break down, clean, and lube.

Also, which gear grease do you prefer for the bearings?  Can I use the little tubes of oil that come with some reels for general lubrication when putting it back together?

Thank you for your help and input.  I feel pretty good about it so far.  I have each section of the dismantling in separate containers so trying to avoid "spare parts"  :)

Sandra (Pink Condor)

alantani

it's yamaha grease for the non-spool bearings.   if you need the spool to spin, the use corrosion x.  if you don't need the spool to spin, use yamaha grease again.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=50.0

the preset knob is holding the spool in.  the titus silver post will be closest.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15.0

if this is your first effort, take a look at okuma board and review all of the posts first.  you are on the steep part of the learning curve.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Pink Condor

Thanks so much Alan.  I actually did not see all of that wonderful info further down the front page.  I know what I will be doing tonight.  Thank you again and I will endeavor to seek out information before I ask silly beginner questions. :)

Sandra (Pink Condor)

Pink Condor

SUCCESS!!!  Nice free-spool.  Not alot because I put the covers back on the spool bearings and used my heavy marine grease.  Thanks for all the help.  I am going to gather up some supplies and have a look at my other reels.  Just curious: it is not a simple task to convert right-hand reel to left-hand reel, correct??  Hubby is lefty and we have a hard time finding reels for him in the bigger sizes.

Thanks again, Alan, I have learned so much already.  I read your thoughts on Avets.  I just bought a 2-speed JX MC which I love, but am now concerned about because you mentioned dry drag washers.  It certainly would not be my next project, but when I feel more comfortable, do you think I need to open her up and get some grease on it?

And I thought rod building was addictive.
You are a great teacher. 
Sandra

alantani

for left handed reels, avet has the best line up!!!!!!!! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!