Can't they get it right?!?

Started by ReelSpeed, March 17, 2011, 04:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelSpeed

I am just venting a little frustration from having spent the better part of a day having to drill out the reel base screws from an old SX.  Of course they came dry from the factory, and of course salt got in and locked everything up.. and then, of course, someone tried to unsrew the allen screws.. oh and did it with a ball end wrench that snapped off in the screw head.  Would not have happened if someone just used $.0001 of grease..  >:( Arggg...

Oh and for that matter... start using torq screws like the imports do.. especially since we are talking about stainless fasteners, which inherently are nowhere near the strength of steel fasteners and want to strip easily.

Ok, I'm done.   :)
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

kamuwela

alot of reel's come with loctite on the reel foot screw's, i hate it too they are hard to get out new let alone after years of use. as for the torqs screws im with you all the way i did a large penn lever drag with them, i was so imperssed id like to do that as an upgrade to my reel's

alantani

i've been switching them out for a countersunk stainless number 2 phillips head.  ordered a bunch from mcmaster.com.  to get them out, i've found that a standard allen head works better than the ball head.  they dig in deeper.  ticks me off, too! >:(
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ReelSpeed

That is what I replaced it with as well Alan.. Same thing that Tiburon use.   I didn't have a stainless Torq in that size on hand.
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190