Grease for smoothdrag washers?

Started by lightj12, March 18, 2011, 04:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightj12

I have a few sets of smoothdrag "smoothie" drag washers for a Penn 500. They dont appear to be carbontex material, they sort of have a marbled, white/grey color and appear to be made of hard fiber material. It seems like the material will not absorb grease like HT-100's or like washers. Do these washers perform well & should they be greased?
Thanks

Alto Mare

I have a few of those in some of my reels, eventually I will replace them with carbontex  but for now I will keep on using them. Smoothies are specially formulated material  with self lubricating qualities, they can be used dry or with a very light coating of Cal's. I did lightly coat mine and they perform well, I would probably leave them dry in extreme cold climate. Alan recommends carbontex, I did swich to them on most of my gear, but as long as the smoothies work for me,  I'm going to keep on using them untill I run out. Take care, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dawn

The grease won't hurt the Smoothie drags, but you will most likely get less drag.  I recommend them dry.
They are pre-treated with a dry lube.

Dawn
Dawn

lightj12

Thanks for the responses; I guess I'll install them dry.

Alto Mare

You can experiment for yourself, if that does not work for you just add a touch of Cal's grease  for more smoothness. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

andrew_g

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if saltwater intrusion affects the function of the smooth drags? Thanks

Andrew

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i think it will but if you have set the drag properly  i don't think water will enter in between the drag washers and the metal washers IMO...hope this helps...tight lines!

alantani

saltwater can still find its way inside.  grease is definitely the way to go.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: alantani on June 22, 2012, 04:12:32 PM
grease is definitely the way to go.

you took the words out of my mouth ooops rather my fingers. ;)