Sloppy levelwind on 330 gt

Started by walknbob, March 18, 2011, 09:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walknbob

The level wind on my 330 GT seems sloppy. If you use a finger and put even a little resistance to it it will skip or jump on the worm shaft it rides on. I have tightented the screw so it is not slipping because of being loose. Is there a way to determine if it is the level wind guide or the worm shaft that is to blame?

akfish

I find that I almost **always** have to replace both the worm and the pawl when the level wind has problems. The worm seems to be made of softer metal than the pawl. You could just get a new pawl and see if that solves the problem but I really doubt it would.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

walknbob

Quote from: akfish on March 19, 2011, 01:41:50 AM
I find that I almost **always** have to replace both the worm and the pawl when the level wind has problems. The worm seems to be made of softer metal than the pawl.

I specifically remember loosing something big the season before last. It made a fast (not screaming) run that went on for what seemed like forever. I thought I was going to get spooled. There was suddenly some roughness in ( I assumed) the drag and then snap it was gone... 40lb mono. I started noticing the problem after that. I don't know if it was just coincidence or not.

But at any rate I will look for the parts to replace both.  Do I just find stock replacements or is there a more durable substitute?

Thanks

alantani

i use a leather hole punch and punch out a "donut hole" piece of plastic to use as a shim underneath the pawl.  the plastic i use is from the container used for fish hooks.  the plastic is thick enough.  a couple of beer can shims might work as well.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!