Two Penn 114H Tiburon Upgrades

Started by Long Enuff, August 06, 2016, 12:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Enuff

A little over a year ago I picked up a new old stock Penn 114H maroon post style Senator. It was cherry, never had line on it and not a scratch anywhere. The grease was old and dried out, but other than that it was perfect. I cleaned it up and regreased, added new carbon fiber drag washers, Tiburon frame, and Tiburon handle assembly.  Next, load it up with 150lb braid and slap it on a Daiwa bent butt 60 to 150lb class rod for live baiting grouper.

A fishing buddy asked about it, liked the concept and wanted me to put one together for him.
First we found a donor reel on that auction site

The tear down and inspection didn't reveal any ugly surprises:

He wanted to go with the black Tiburon frame and handle assembly.  While waiting on the parts, did the vinegar soak on internal brass components and trim rings. Added the Smooth Drag washers and started assembly.

The posts and rod clamp that came with the Tiburon kit wasn't large enough to fit the big bent butt rod, so I made some new SS posts and ordered a TLD 50 rod clamp which fits perfect.

After assembly, tested at 40lbs drag!

Cousins:

It turned out well.

Bill

cbar45

Nice work getting those reels ready for battle. How do you like the grip on those handles, compared to stock?

Long Enuff

Cbar,  I really like those handles. They are much larger than stock giving you more to hold on to. That is crucial to the way we fish them.  They sit in a rod holder at the back of the boat with a large live bait and at least 16 oz. of lead sitting on the bottom.  When the grouper sucks it in, leave the rod in the holder and just crank the handle to bring up the fish.

Shark Hunter

Good Work on those 114H's. One of my Favorites.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Nice job! those handles are well built.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

cbar45

Quote from: Long Enuff on August 06, 2016, 02:02:31 AM
Cbar,  I really like those handles. They are much larger than stock giving you more to hold on to. That is crucial to the way we fish them.  They sit in a rod holder at the back of the boat with a large live bait and at least 16 oz. of lead sitting on the bottom.  When the grouper sucks it in, leave the rod in the holder and just crank the handle to bring up the fish.

Thanks for the feedback.