Twice in a Row-Annual Offshore Trip Cancelled Due to Weather

Started by spc7669, August 06, 2016, 02:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spc7669

What a bummer of a day. Me and 11 buddies were supposed to do our annual offshore trip Sunday.

I've been waiting on this trip for a year. We booked in March. It's been one of the driest summers I can remember until the one weekend I can go fish offshore. My trip last year got cancelled as well by a freak storm. I'd be lying if I said it's not depressing.

We are down at Jekyll Island all week for a conference. Maybe we can snag some sharks from the beach. Report (hopefully) to follow.

Do we have an emoji of a smiley face crying in a beer?

Patrick

PS-if your area is experiencing a drought, please send me the name of a good fishing guide. Be glad to help.

RiverAngler

I feel your pain, fellow Angler. The bite in the Sacramento Delta has been poor this year as a result of the drought. Last year by this time I caught 28 keeper Stripers. This year so far only 4.There was no run off from the mountains and the salt water from the SF Bay crept  43 miles up river on the incoming tide. The bait fish have all left the building as a result.

Ralph
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

Shark Hunter

You have to roll with the punches Pat.
I'm not making it to the coast again this year.
Family commitments.
I made it in May, Got Skunked, but I usually make two trips a year.
You just have to keep the faith.
Life is Good!

spc7669

We got in about 4 hours of surf fishing which I started off with a hook through the thumb. The small blacktips were everywhere and so was the bait. I used my Shimano TR200, Tanitized of course, which I found to be a pretty good surf reel. Hopefully, more to come tomorrow.

Shark Hunter

That looks like it Hurt,
Just part of it Bro.
I Wish I was there.
Life is Good!

Bill B

I feel your pain on both fronts...sorry my brother....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

spc7669

The bite has been very slow. We caught three small Blacktips and one Atlantic Sharpnose yesterday. We did a couple of deep drops with 7-8 pound Amberjacks on 9/0's. Nothing worthwhile wanted a free meal.

I did get to surf fish with Truth SG, which was on my short list of small reels. The freespool is ridiculous. It burned the prints off my thumb. The detents on the lever drag are nice as well. The clicker might as well not be there. It's hard to hear when you are not dealing with the wind and surf. Also, the sand spike it was in tipped over and it got dunked, but did not hit the sand. Immediately after immersion in saltwater, it ran rough and loud. The handle, at the junction with the handle blank, has pretty much locked up. This is after an immediate rinse with a bottle of freshwater. I'm going to tear it down when I get home to see what's going on inside. The jury is still out on this one for me.

Patrick

David Hall

That is rough, I to can relate to your pain.  The solution? Plan more trips.

Steve-O

Man, that is pushing a foot of rain in shirt order.  :o

I'm from central NC so I know coastal storms. Was there when Fran hit. Cat. 4-5  Hurricane at landfall. Salt rain came all the way to my home 125 miles from Wilmington.

Hooks in fingers? Checked that box, too.

I would have put the bite on one of those sharks....tasty, tasty grilled and dipped in butter.

The Truth reels are guaranteed for life, aren't they? Should clean up and get back to catching w/o much trouble.

Hope some silver lining starts showing your way soon...the black cloud will pass.

ChileRelleno

Sucks dealing with Mother Nature, she can really put a damper on things.
Sometimes I think her and Mr. Murphy are married and coordinate their hatred of man's well laid plans.

At least you got a little toes in the sand time.
My kids love the bloody knuckle pic, weird kids that they are.

Atlantic Sharpnose is both good to eat and makes a great sharkbait.

Wishing you better luck next time... Third times a charm...  Right?  ;D
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

spc7669

Just got back from Alligator Point in FL. The road to the house I was staying on got washed away by Tropical Storm Hermine. I got out six hours before the storm hit after catching 4 hardhead catfish. I'm officially calling 2016 done for in the salt. Gonna take my fly rod and head to the mountains.
Patrick